Small town roadtrip **Update with Picture**

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
My wife and I took a roadtrip through a bunch of small towns today that we hadn't been to before. Most of the towns had populations under 500. Drove about 200 miles through some beautiful countryside and found a few antique shops along with the banks.

Bank 1 had $100 but would only give me $50. 4 rolls had nothing, but 1 roll had 5 1 x 65, 1 x 66, and 3 x 67. Thats the most I've found in a roll.

Bank 2 was another branch of bank 1. They didn't tell me how many rolls they had but let me have $80. found 1 x 60 (My wife's first Ben find), 1 x 67, and 1 x 69-D.

Bank 3 had $50.50 with no keepers.

Bank 4 gave me $300 but I think they had more. Found 1 x 67, 1 x 68-D, 1 x 69-D.

The only Credit Union I stopped at did not make me happy. They had $335 in their counting machine but said I had to wait for the supervisor to get back from lunch to buy them because they didn't know how to sell them to me. We checked out a few places in town and went back about a half hour later. When I got back I was told the supervisor was checking the bag for non-halves. Then I was told that because there was other types of change in the bag they were going to have to rerun all the bags and balance the machine so I couldn't get the bag today. I've never had anyone have to go through the bag coin by coin before selling it to me so I'm pretty sure I know what she was checking for. >:(

The last 3 banks had $106 with no keepers.

2 banks I wanted to go to closed at 3pm so I want to go back and check them out. One has $90 in halves and the other is supposed to have "Allot" according to the tellers at one of the banks I stopped at. I also want to see if I can swap $50 in rejects for the other $50 in the vault of the first bank.

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Small town roadtrip

Fropa said:
The only Credit Union I stopped at did not make me happy. They had $335 in their counting machine but said I had to wait for the supervisor to get back from lunch to buy them because they didn't know how to sell them to me. We checked out a few places in town and went back about a half hour later. When I got back I was told the supervisor was checking the bag for non-halves. Then I was told that because there was other types of change in the bag they were going to have to rerun all the bags and balance the machine so I couldn't get the bag today. I've never had anyone have to go through the bag coin by coin before selling it to me so I'm pretty sure I know what she was checking for. >:(

They are not necessarily removing the silver, many half dollar bags also have other denominations in them as well as foreign coins and/or foreign objects (slugs, tokens, etc.). I have had banks insist on recounting a bag before they would sell it to me before and the silver was still in there. Now that doesn't mean that the tellers at that specific bank won't take it out, but I haven't had that experience yet where they have. Note: If possible, I always ask to see what they removed and give a reason about being curious about foreign coins, etc. If they try dodging the question, well...that's why I ask, to get a reaction.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

GMan00001 said:
Fropa said:

They are not necessarily removing the silver, many half dollar bags also have other denominations in them as well as foreign coins and/or foreign objects (slugs, tokens, etc.). I have had banks insist on recounting a bag before they would sell it to me before and the silver was still in there. Now that doesn't mean that the tellers at that specific bank won't take it out, but I haven't had that experience yet where they have. Note: If possible, I always ask to see what they removed and give a reason about being curious about foreign coins, etc. If they try dodging the question, well...that's why I ask, to get a reaction.

Sage advice there gman.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the silver haul Fropa. Tell your wife congrats for me.....we need more lady CRH'ers out there......ha!

Good idea about asking to swap out the $50....never hurts to ask and you never know what those 5 rolls hold.

Good luck and keep em coming........

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Update with Picture

I headed back to exchange rolls and hit a couple banks that closed early on Monday.

I took GMan00001's advice and and went back to the credit union to buy the bag of halves. I explained the bag needed to be recounted on Monday and she went and talked to someone. She came back and said it didn't work and I could not buy the bag of halves. I was confused because they just needed to recount the halves and she was working on it when I came back on Monday. She said the machine wasn't counting it right so they couldn't sell the halves. ???

I went to 2 branches of my buy bank that closed early on Monday. The first had $10 loose which had 1 67. The other branch had $90 in hand rolled. The teller told me she collects coins and grabs all the silver she finds so don't expect to find any in the rolls, which I didn't. I can't complain because I would be doing the same thing.

I took rolls back to the 2 banks that wouldn't give me all their halves because they needed some on hand. I got 1 1962-D BEN out of the $100 in halves between the 2 banks.

I drove a total of 402 miles over 2 days and got 2 Franklins and 11 40%. How does that compare to your average miles/keepers ratio?

5JUL07.jpg

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let you know on Sunday. I'm heading to a few small towns and have permission from my wife to stop at open bank during this trip.

402 miles is quite a bit of gas, but you never know when that dream bank will show up.

HH.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. I didn't think I drove that many miles until I checked the odometer. The gas/silver ratio wasn't good, but like Sheldius says you never know when a dream find will be at the next bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread