Fastest way to find 43 silver dimes?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to complete my roll of silver dimes by the end of the year(43 to go). Metal detecting is bringing in zilch. Coin roll hunting by the box in Arizona is a wasteland(23 box skunk streak). I will occasionally find a silver dime from cwr's aquired from banks. But banks usually don't have a lot of those at any one time. Therefore this is a very slow process.

Thought: I've heard that Wells Fargo will possibly sell you dime bags($1000 worth, I believe) if you have a commercial account. Then one can purchase a Ryedale coin sorter to make the sorting job quicker. This definitely would speed up the process and allow me have a chance at reaching my goal. Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience along these lines they can share? Finally would it be worth it to buy the dimes bags?(i.e. not sure where these dimes would be coming from...would they potentially have enough silver in them to make it worthwhile)? Thanks and hh, 7up. ???:weee:

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A visit to your coin shop will be more ecomonical...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ryedale isn't cheap. You'd be better off sorting by hand or buying from the LCS.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no magical solution. Its all just luck of the draw. You could go out tomorrow and get a few solid rolls, or get skunked for months.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes and Quarters are hard to find... you need a lot of persistence, and some luck... It also doesn't hurt to have Coinstar machines in the neighborhood.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have stated, I wouldn't spend the $500 on a Ryedale to search dimes. It doesn't take long to rim/sound check them by the handful out of a bag. On top of that, I trust my ears better than any machine.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It would take A LOT of silver dimes to offset the cost of a Rydale sorter. That's one reason I did NOT buy one to sort copper cents from zincs.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would take A LOT of silver dimes to offset the cost of a Rydale sorter. That's one reason I did NOT buy one to sort copper cents from zincs.

There's always a return when I re-sell the machine. I think one has to always consider that in the equation. Yes I know there is always some depreciation with a used machine--I'm thinking maybe $40-50?--yeah I know, that's still a lot of silver dimes>:(.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So hold on....its late August, and your goal is to complete a roll of silver dimes by the end of the year?
So that means you have 7, 43 to go?....
Just go to a coin shop, buy their surplus average circulation dimes.
Not that your goal is that outrageous....just seems, I don't know, lofty?

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Throw in the area a handful of coins then metal detect :occasion18:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always a return when I re-sell the machine. I think one has to always consider that in the equation. Yes I know there is always some depreciation with a used machine--I'm thinking maybe $40-50?--yeah I know, that's still a lot of silver dimes>:(.

I don't know what they sell for used. I certainly wouldn't pay $450-60 for a used one when a new one could be bought for $500. I'd pay maybe $350, unless I knew the previous owner personally and it had been only lightly used.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said before, just take 50 bucks and head down to your local coin shop. Y'all talking about spending 400-500$ on a sorting machine, and then having to drive around town picking up and dumping bags of dimes. Factor in gas money and time spent, you're better off just going to buy those 43 silver dimes, head home fill up that roll sit back and enjoy the silver.
Oh yeah, if you get NF string and son rolls/boxes, chances are coin wrap inc, culls silver from circulation, they run a independent facility down in AZ.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I've done good on is halves, and to some extent nickels. For nickels, probably 3 buffalos and 3 silvers in three boxes. Also got some AU or better 2015 and 2016 clashed die types. I've sent them to be graded. Dimes? Nothing but a recent 1963 in a coin star. Halves have been customer rolled, at last count over 250 of which I guess 170+ are 90% the rest 40%. Got 3 1972 double dies also.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand sending off clashed nickels to be graded. You seem to find them at a good rate. That means a lot of them are out there and that will bring the price down quickly. Same thing has happened with Wexler's 2015 ddo #6. They sold for high money at first, but now the prices are coming down as more show up. I've found 9 myself. To each his own, but sending clashes to be graded is wasted money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread