Double Sided Coin Ring from a 1964 Kennedy Half

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Double Sided Coin Ring from a 1964 Kennedy Half

I decided to make a double sided coin ring. I used a 1964 Kennedy Half. It is the first one I have made so I had to experiment with the hole size. It came out a size 16. Hey, what the heck, it only cost me 50 cents. Oh, and the pile of tools was 80 bucks.

I don’t like the single sided ones. They just look like a plain old silver band. Whoopie. You have to pull it off to show people that it was a coin.

These double sided ones lets people know right away what it was. I still have to do some more polishing and I will drill the hole smaller next time. I figure it might take 2 or 3 to get it right. Once I have it figured out I will sacrifice a few Bens and Walkers. So if you are a size 16, PM me your best offer if you want it.

Pretty easy to if you have the right tools. A drill press is the ticket. It took me less than 1- 1/2 hour.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_009.jpg
    ScreenHunter_009.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 944
  • ScreenHunter_011.jpg
    ScreenHunter_011.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 886
  • ScreenHunter_001.jpg
    ScreenHunter_001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4,343
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
You need a solid mandrel and a tough hammer. The second one I made I drilled to 5/8 and it still came out a size 15.

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
PanManStan said:
It looks like you didn't finish it. The sides should be straight. Yours are angled. Did you flip it on the mandrel?
I did flip it and I beat on it until my arm was sore. It just won't go down that last little bit. Any suggestions?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I tried the same thing with a Ben and got a size 15+, too. I did get it to flatten instead of a conical shape. Next time I might drill a smaller hole and flip it earlier. I have a feeling that halves are way tougher than other coins to work with for the 2 sided.
Keep us updated.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Any more info about this- like where did you hear of it and is there any instructional website? That is awesome. I want one but don't think I'm a 16. Always looking for cool things to do with finds. HH Mark

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
PanManStan said:
It looks like you didn't finish it. The sides should be straight. Yours are angled. Did you flip it on the mandrel?
I did flip it and I beat on it until my arm was sore. It just won't go down that last little bit. Any suggestions?
I think this is what you need. I have had mine for many years.
It is a tempered steel ring mandrel.
mandrel.jpg
It is tapered, so is your ring. Put the ring on backwards and hit with your mallet the same way you made the ring. All the pounding you did hardened the silver. You could heat treat it with a torch to soften it and make it easier again. Just watch the heat, too much and you have a puddle. >:(

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Thanks for the link- I'll have to try to read that tonight while I'm searchin halves haha. I don't see how you get the outside edge flat without cutting a wedge out cause its bigger. Something to discuss perhaps- but that would entail silver saudering and such. Hope I find the makings for 100 rings in the boxes I'm getting haha. July shall go out with a bang. HH Mark

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
ME_CO said:
Any more info about this- like where did you hear of it and is there any instructional website? That is awesome. I want one but don't think I'm a 16. Always looking for cool things to do with finds. HH Mark
The only thing I found out was if you use a half and pound it down on the madrel it comes out big (size 15-15). I never could get it perfectly flat. It is to large anyhow. John (the guy in the .pdf below says use a quarter. The guy that makes them and sells on ebay makes smaller sizes out of half's (11-12) but he won't say how he does it. If you succeed, please post.

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
cyberdan said:
awhitster said:
PanManStan said:

It is tapered, so is your ring. Put the ring on backwards and hit with your mallet the same way you made the ring. All the pounding you did hardened the silver. You could heat treat it with a torch to soften it and make it easier again. Just watch the heat, too much and you have a puddle. >:(
That's what I did. Used solid steel mandrel, flipped it back and forth and beat on it until my arm was sore. I just couldn't get that last bit of cone shape out. My brother did the same and he had the same problem. There is more to it we just can't get the info for.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
awhitster said:
cyberdan said:
awhitster said:
PanManStan said:

That's what I did. Used solid steel mandrel, flipped it back and forth and beat on it until my arm was sore. I just couldn't get that last bit of cone shape out. My brother did the same and he had the same problem. There is more to it we just can't get the info for.

SAME RESULTS HERE

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
[/quote]
Yes, it has hardened from all the pounding. You will have to anneal it so you can work on it some more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_%28metallurgy%29
This will explain a little better.

When finished just take it to a jeweler to have hime size it. He will cut out a bit and solder the ends together for a perfect fit.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
packerbacker said:
Try this site for instructions
http://members.shaw.ca/john_edmonton/HowtomakeaCoinRings[2].pdf
Copy this whole addy including the 2.pdf
I cannot pull up this link.

.pdf]http://members.shaw.ca/john_edmonton/HowtomakeaCoinRings[2].pdf

there is something wrong with the T-Net software.
I have corrected the URL 3 times and it keeps inserting it wrong.
the url is :

http://members.shaw.ca/john_edmonton/HowtomakeaCoinRings[2].pdf

this is not a complete hot link, you must copy and paste it into your browser. start at http and include .pdf

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread