Newbie: First Half Dollar Box

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a metal detector on and off (mostly off lately) since 1994. I've also checked a few rolls of dimes and quarters for silver with limited success. I stumbled across the CRH forum here and got the urge to search some half dollars.

I guess it was beginners luck when I called my local bank to see if they could order a box for me and they actually had one in the vault. I picked it up and started the search.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the box was all LOOMIS rolls.

It only took 7 rolls to discover my first 40% Kennedy, a beautiful 1968. After that it seemed like a long wait, but roll 27 produced another 1968 coin. I was really surprised when rolls 36, 37 and 38 each produced one 40%er.

At that point I was so happy to have had some luck with my very first box that I wasn't expecting anything else. Then roll 47 had two more 40% halves and I was blown away. I know some of you have found amazing numbers or years in boxes, but for my first time I couldn't have been happier.

The great thing is the bank is going to order me two boxes a week as long as I want them! I can't wait until Friday!

7 Kennedys.jpg

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start! Now a question. Where did you take the halves after you searched them?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job. Being at the right place at the right time. However, you will stumble across that elusive animal, the SKUNK. Fear not, he comes & goes when you least expect it, good luck & HH(happy hunting). YOUR HOOKED & welcome to the TNet.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
That is a great start to a fun hobby. But DozerD knows what he is talking about, that skunk and his friends will be around a lot more than you think. But now your hooked and don't get too disappointed when you get those skunk boxes. Never give up!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do not call it a SKUNK until you check for errors, HQ proofs, altered magic coins, the 74-D and MS grade. OK_______________now call it a SKUNK

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main CU has a coin machine in the lobby. They didn't mind at all. So far. Thanks!!

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find anything other than a 2006 and 2007. I kept them but don't know yet if I should have.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it was beginners luck and the skunk will be ever present. Still it was fun and I look forward to the next box and find!

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on ur first box.. I think after my 5th box did I see my first silver.. speaking of boxes I need to call my bank and have them start ordering me boxes again....

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrbks = hooked. Congrats on the score and may you have many more!
OO

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize until I started reading other people's posts that one of mine qualified as an ender. It was the reverse of the coin and I didn't notice until I unwrapped it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions