AArgh! No! OMG! It's OVER! Time for a new hobby.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I go up to the bank I've done business with since gasp! 1993! I put in a cash deposit and ask for $10 in cents. So the manager comes over, whispers to the teller there and says I can't have any more coins. It costs them money to get them.

I am so mad, had to get a fire extinguisher to put out the fire in my hair.

Angry. Disappointed. Probably changing banks and I put a boatload of money into that account weekly.

FOUR ACCOUNTS THERE. 23 year history.

Not worth squat.

And no I don't feel better after posting this.

Makes you feel like a homeless orphan. On Christmas. Expletives deleted but well thought out.

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What next? Sorry to hear that, it's all about money!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You're just a number. No matter what dollar amount you might pump into any number of accounts you'll still not be their bread and butter. That's the reality of the financial services industry. You're costing them money so they will feel it's best you go, although they will never say that to you.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it like this, if I moved my "main" account, which is somewhere else, my investment manager there would probably drink hemlock. Which is bad for your teeth.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's next is probably removing cat fur from the carpet. A never ending job.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't panic just yet. Are there other branches of the same bank around? Maybe try them before you close your account. You may also just try again next week at the same bank. Maybe the manager was just having a bad day. I have found that certain tellers will give you a bull crap story just so they don't have to lug out coins. When the teller next to them happily give coins. Lucky for you Branch managers change jobs like underwear so hopefully this manager will move on soon and you can resume your normal activity.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps, but after that who really wants to go back there? There are a LOT of banks out there who'd like to sign you up for a new account. Like Wells Fargo:occasion14: But seriously, Wells is a real consideration, because now their branch is the closest to my house.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No more rolls than you're getting from them I think it would be ok to take them back after search. That way it's not costing them anything. Or you could just go to another branch and make sure they don't have to order any. I wouldn't leave a bank over $10 of coin.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your really ticked off. Might be a good idea to wait a week before making a decision. Let yourself cool off before making a rash decision.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fyi Wells Fargo, at least in my area is pretty good about excepting rolled coin and selling coin. If you want to order half dollars its branch by branch. Some have no problem and are happy to do it. Others hate it you just have to find the right one and make friends quick. They also sell CWR back to customers which in my area is becoming very difficult. Most banks policy's are to break CWR into bags and send to the coin vendor. If the wells in your area are the same I would open an account either way. They are easy to work with regarding CRH. Good luck

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out Wells Fargo online this morning. For my business account, the charge for the checking account is $2 per month less than where I have my account now, and there are two very close to my house. I'm going to drop by and ask a zillion questions this morning. Going to look at the Suntrust because they are also close to me.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure they don't open bogus accounts in your name! Lol!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was really good in the past. If the Hobby is growing, I can honestly see why some places will start doing this. It was good while it lasted! I thought places would have done this long ago.

If I would have been a Bank manager I would have stopped me when I was going through a lot of rolls. :laughing7: I haven't searched any for a while now. That would get old real quick dealing with change all day on the level some coin searchers do. I don't think it was because of the ten dollars you wanted, they might just have had enough in that area. I'm just guessing...Honestly, some of this is wasting their time for a service that is really making them no money. :occasion14:

I was a searcher, But I can see both sides of it sometimes. Not really taking either side.
My uncle still searches and he orders them through one of the banks. But I'm sure it's in large amounts knowing the way he does things. He also built his own sorting machine to pull the copper..Try talking to the manager off to the side and ask if you can order them.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wasting my time. For sure. But it's a harmless hobby to do after work to wind down. The last 5 rolls of cents last night produced 6 wheaties, and FOUR clad Roosevelt dimes. All bank wrapped. I are still pi**ed. Going bank shopping in about 20 minutes.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to have a blast! We would run around to as many banks as we could. We would have the trunk of the car bottomed out buying boxes.:laughing7: Then her and I would stop and grab a couple of movies and spend weekends searching rolls! She would even do it while I was at work. We have dumped A hundred at a time in coin stars at local grocery stores sometimes it would take forever!:laughing7:

Good luck!! It's not over! You just have to get creative and catch the right manager!:occasion14:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Wells Fargo was the bank I had in mind when I made the above post.

You don't make enough money to be their bread and butter. Not a personal thing towards you, my brother worked there for 15 years.

Unless your net worth is upwards of 250 million and more, you're nothing. They lose money on you in a twisted bankerly convoluted way.

My brother has audio he recorded of a managers meeting. You would not believe how they talk about customers among themselves. Two-faced is being polite.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the banks despise us. But the managers and tellers can be won over. If a bank turns on you, just start dumping there. If they won't take your dumps just switch banks. I keep enough in each account to get the free checking and keep smiling and being polite. If a certain manager starts crhing I ask if he wants to sell. If he won't sell maybe he'll order boxes. If he won't order maybe he'll help me get rid of boxes. If none of those things I go to another branch. If everything is looking grim come on tnet n vent here lol.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been with my bank since 1979. In the other places I'd lived in my travels, if I were going to stay for a while I'd get a local account for ease and flexibility. I've paid off one loan and a mortgage through my bank, and currently have a car loan through them

I retired and returned home 2 years ago. One of my first actions here was to go to my bank and ask for rolls & bags. They refused.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The answer is to join a credit union.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait! I did join a credit union. The one snotty teller there says they don't have any coins. Did close 1 account today, an escrow account for a home that I rent. Renter is so good I'm just returning it to him. One less thing I have to worry about. I can get free business checking at one of my other banks. We'll see. I don't know if I want to close the other accounts yet or not. I think just showing up there frequently with stupid questions over the next few months will get them so ticked off, I'll just stay there awhile. Not angry, but I will play the game awhile. I casually mentioned to the teller that bank managers come and go. Quicker if you loudly complain to corporate. Haven't done that, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread