Longest Box Skunk Streak

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear these guys on YouTube must be stacking their bags and rollls--- they are picking up silver everyday. Without searching boxes or they get a box with walkers and Barbers. Wtf.
Michigan must suck for CRH and halves.

Yep, I think that it does suck as for luck in finding something good here (I'm about an hour north of you). I sometimes think that two thirds of the Michigan population must be coin collectors, judging how many collectible coins can be found in the wild. Also I have never ever found any left overs in any Coinstar machine. I almost think that as soon as someone dumps coins then the vultures swoop in for the leftovers, just too many people needing whatever money they can find.

When I first did CRHing years ago I figured a bad box was one with only 1 - 4 silvers. Then after about a year or so of getting boxes I noticed that the date stamps were getting caught up to within a year of the current date and I started to get skunk boxes. The final nail in the coffin for me doing two boxes a week was not having any place close that had a coin machine, once my credit union got rid of theirs. I decided it was not worth it trying to roll up all those halves, put my number on the wrappers, and then run them to the dump bank. I may find another CU or bank with a change machine and try it out again, but for now I am just going to dig my silver the way I used to, with a metal detector.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skunk Box number 5.
In fact. I only started hunting recently and have NOT found 1 silver in a ordered bank box. Only found 2 NIFCs
Im on box number 5 skunk.

I guess mybeginners luck from loose halves WAS the only luck I have in CRH so far
But this is a hobby and called hunting not collecting

KampusKop

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had not bought a box in a year or more because of several skunks and time/money..

I ordered a couple of boxes from my local bank and the second box was a skunk, the first box produced 87 silvers. All 40%.

Three skunk boxes since.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
From 2 years ago ... 112 skunks in a row. Well documented as I went through it (And whined the whole time!!)

here is part of my post when it ended.

"Box #113 was looking like another skunk, when in the second to last roll I found a lone 1968. YEA! Only one, but after 112 skunks in a row, and not even doing the halves in boxes anymore, to have this one slip through and be in a box, was a positive for me.

So the streak ends. 112 skunks in a row. Over a 2 year period, since mostly I quit after so many in 2014. But the streak is over"

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From 2 years ago ... 112 skunks in a row. Well documented as I went through it (And whined the whole time!!)

here is part of my post when it ended.

"Box #113 was looking like another skunk, when in the second to last roll I found a lone 1968. YEA! Only one, but after 112 skunks in a row, and not even doing the halves in boxes anymore, to have this one slip through and be in a box, was a positive for me.

So the streak ends. 112 skunks in a row. Over a 2 year period, since mostly I quit after so many in 2014. But the streak is over"

Wow wow wow. That's a crazy amount of time spent --- but this is a hobby and just like deer hunting (where I have gone 3 years without a kill or better yet, my dad hunting for 15yrs and nothing to show

Thanks
M

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we go Box 7. Complete Silver Skunk. I have yet to find a silver in a box.
BUT.
I did get a few NIFC Halves (9of them). I'll take it. I guess most people are edge hunting only
Check this out IMG_1576.JPG

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
over a long career, you'll get many skunk streaks, and a few loaded boxes; it all averages out in the end. My personal average right now is about two 40% silver halves per box, but that includes all my skunks. My longest was 14 boxes, or about 3 weeks. However, that's not as bad as getting skunked one week, next week finding only 1 or 2 silvers, then another couple weeks of skunks. Just gotta power through them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a skunk box today with only 2 marked coins in it. Not even a proof.

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never found a silver half in a roll. Due to income I almost never get to get a full box but have been getting loose rolls for about 2 years off and on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread