Someone needs grading practice... RARE WHEAT! PIX

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Went to a doctors appointment in a town an hour away. Left the MD in the other car again!!! 2nd time this has happened lately and its getting me down. The bank nearby closed at 3:00! Very early.

BUT: Went to an old coin shop. Small dealer whom I had never visited before. He had great coins! Apparently he got a lot of them from the old shop owner for a good deal. Anyways, he was selling everything realy cheap!!

Got 500 wheat cents for $15!!!! Found (2) 1909 VDB's, and a 1922 D!!!! Also found a 1912 D!!!

Then, I bought a 1904 Indian in MS for $10 bucks! An 1865 EF (listed as VG) 2 cent piece for $16!!! And, the best for last, an 1852 3 cent silver piece for $18!!! The coin is in VF, listed as G. I know, I know, your probably thinking its MY grading thats not quite right, but I can tell you it is jsut fine. EF actually. I dont know, maybe the guy was just being very nice. Sounds like he bought the coins for even less. Then, when I go to pay I get 10 FREE wheat cents! What a day!

Picture isnt too great (scan) but in real life the Indian has full red obverse and gold/green reverse

Indian has some NATURAL GREEN TONING on the reverse aswell.

-CC

Attachments

• typecoins1.jpg
    typecoins1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
THANKS WS!

I cant wait to do some yard work and babysitting and return again!

-CC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Wow!
Almost as cheap as finding them in the roll!!
WTG!

soldierman

May 18, 2006
Your 3 cent silver looks nicer than mine. But I did pay a little less.
I've alway liked them and I bought the nicest one my dealer had.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent price on the wheat cents and some nice finds as well. As for the others, I've got to be the wet blanket.

IHC - Green is not natural toning on copper. It is either corrosion or it has been cleaned at some point.

3 cent silver - VF at best. Star appears to have a couple of weak spots which would make it F.

2 cent. The WE of In God We Trust appears weak to non-existent. if weak but there it's F. if not readable it's VG.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks!

I agree with you on mostly everything... Based on the scans.

I actually took the scan of the coins after I made the original post. The green on the Indian Head Cent was just on the cardboard flip. Someone colored the inside... lol. Removed the coin and the cent is fine, no green. Odly though the obverse is fully red, and the reverse is mostly brown. Probably on the edge of a coin roll at one time.

Yeah, the 3 cent peice does have some good wear on the left and right sides of the star. But, I think a piece like this judging by the rest of the design and the reverse should acheive VF. Which is ok by me since another dealer offered me $35 for it. Not for sale though.

The 2 cent piece has an almost complete W, but the E is very very faint. I guess EF was being a bit too lenient. Now that I look closer it could be borderline VF, most likey a higher fine. Examples like this sell on ebay for a good $25 or more.

Thanks for the help! My eyes walked right over that "WE" in "in God we trust".

-CC

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks!

Best I can do fo rnow i'm afraid. The coins are locked up in my safe right now and the camera needs to charge. The pic is just the scan.

-CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread