What constitutes a "dream box"?

KampusKop

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In accordance with the rules of the site?

I feel I came fairly close the other day.....

I have always assumed that a dream box of half dollars would consist of 100 or more silvers.

The other day I picked up two boxes that I had ordered from a local bank, the second box was a total bust but the first box yielded 87 40% silvers.... By far my best box to date!!

I once scored a solid rolls of 64's with the exception of one coin which was a 1957 Canadian half dollar, so it was a solid 90% roll of CWHD.

So what makes an official dream box?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days a dream box has something silver in it. Went to the one good bank and asked for halves and they said they don't take rolled coins anymore. Gotta put them in the counter.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the dream box "rule" is 100 silvers in a box.

If the 100 silvers consisted of all 40%, that would be 14.789 ounces of silver. I personally would also consider any combination that gets you to 14.789 ounces in a single box a "dream". At a minimum, it would take 41 x 90% to get there.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There will eventually come a day when a "dream" box will be any box with 2 or 3 silvers in it. For every silver taken out of circulation, you have to assume that there's not another going back in as they are no longer minted. So over time, the definition of "dream box" will undoubtedly change.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I've been on the site a dream box is 100 silvers. They're still out there so there is no reason to change the definition.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, as long as the box contains 100+ silver coins, whether it be 40% or 90% silver, or whatever other foreign silver manages to get in there, it is considered a dream box. Yours was close though, congrats on an awesome box!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KampusKop , I think your 1957 Canadian Fifty Cent piece was 80 percent silver - but who's complaining - they really are nice looking !

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm, I must respectfully disagree with part of your statement . While it is true that silver coins are not being minted for circulation anymore , clearly some silver is being re introduced into circulation by the "unknowing and the uncaring" I personally have experienced 3 large scores ,(over several years ) There is no way to know the numbers of coins pulled by CRHers , versus the number of coins that are brought back into circulation. This is as close to a really random endeavor as I can think of .

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
kcm, I must respectfully disagree with part of your statement . While it is true that silver coins are not being minted for circulation anymore , clearly some silver is being re introduced into circulation by the "unknowing and the uncaring" I personally have experienced 3 large scores ,(over several years ) There is no way to know the numbers of coins pulled by CRHers , versus the number of coins that are brought back into circulation. This is as close to a really random endeavor as I can think of .

Yes, I fully agree. But at the same time, silver isn't as easy to come by as it once was, right? So do you believe the definition of a "dream box" will be 100+ silvers/box in another 25 years? Somewhere out there, there are yahoos that are trying to (and maybe doing it) figure out how to extract the silver from these coins. Once that happens, those coins disappear. Also consider hurricanes, tornadoes, and fires that destroy coins now and then. So it stands to reason (at least to me) that eventually, the "realistic" definition of "dream box" will some day have to change.

Some of you state how you still find such a dream box now and then. That's wonderful!! In my case, the banks in my area don't even have halves or large dollars. I know they're still US currency, but the banks around here don't even seem to want to accept them!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points ! I must confess that my good scores have come from customer wrapped rolls purchased at the tellar window , while I have had a few good boxes (25 -40 silvers ) i have never approached 100 silvers in a box . I agree with you that boxes may get a bit leaner . I know that certain coin counting machines are now capable of rejecting silver , this could become a problem if the "re rolling " centers that recieve the full bags off the counting machines use thes discriminating machines prior to rolling them .We may be in the sunset of CRH ing for silver half dollars , but until it's over - it's game on as far as I'm concerned !

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If I want any, either I've gotta pay a premium or drive over 200 miles away! :BangHead:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you able to by the occasional CWR's ? or are you saying that half dollars are just not available in your immediate area at all ?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
No CWR's in my area. Every bank within at least 80 miles ONLY accepts loose coins! Some of the banks will sell coins by the bag, but some of the smaller banks hand-roll any rolls that they sell. One of these banks in particular, I know of a teller that spends much of her time going through the rolls checking coins. She then writes on the roll wrappers so she doesn't grab them again.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , that's a bummer ! I might consider moving - although perhaps you have some really good metal detecting areas out there to make up for lousey CRHing !

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, there's never been a lot of people in this area, so not gonna be a lot of finds. TONS of rust though, as it's a wetlands area. But there are other qualities - like SUPER PRIME hunting and fishing area!! LOTS of fresh water, so never a worry about the well running dry. Not much worry of tornadoes, no hurricanes or earthquakes, not a lot of people, almost no traffic, and clean, fresh air!! :thumbsup: Have a friend over in South Dakota that keeps wanting us to move out there and get a claim. Maybe, but sounds like the population there is already booming. We're not used to that anymore.

Besides, there's still cents here - and LOTS of them!! :headbang:

I've tried quarters, nickels and dimes, but have gotten extremely little out of them (including errors). So for this area, it only makes sense to go with cents. :occasion14:

OP
OP
K

KampusKop

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspected it was 100...

I am very happy with 87... :)

But as some speculate about the future, I occurs to me that back in 1989, 100 silvers in a box was probably very common.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I searched one particular box several years ago. Although it fell short of 100 silvers, it had a 1921 Walker. Some might consider that a dream box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread