Free Morgan and One for a $1.00

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

The last few months I have gotten into the habit of checking the coin counting machine for coins on the turn table BEFORE I dump my coins in. I have found a few beat up coins here and there and even an Eisenhower dollar last week.

Well today I checked again before dumping my weekly halves and I saw a few coins in there so I fished my hand in and grabbed them. On was a New Zealand $2 coin and the other was a 1921 Morgan dollar!

When I got my receipt and took it to the teller I asked if they had any large dollar and she said that she had $25 worth and asked if I would like them as part of my cash back, to which I said "sure".

There was another Morgan in that bunch, an 1890.

No mint mark on either coin but the reverse of the '21 has a weird impression. I don't know if this is some sort of strike through error or if it's PMD. If anyone has any insight as to what it could be, it's greatly appreciated.

So I walked out with my first ever silver dollars for face value. Well in this particular case, less than face valve.

Good luck to everyone and HH

Vdubguy
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485792205.816321.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485792217.760277.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485792229.330697.jpg

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the area is depressed, it may be a lamination peel. if raised then :BangHead::BangHead: maybe superglue :dontknow:. NICE SCORE :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: I always ask for "big dollars" ----tellers ALWAYS offer "gold dollars" :laughing7:. some day a teller will hand me a few bald Generals & maybe a cute chick will be in the stack looking left :dontknow:

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is depressed, and the leaves are still visible. In the 3+ years of asking for large dollars, this is the first time I've gotten silver.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

The last few months I have gotten into the habit of checking the coin counting machine for coins on the turn table BEFORE I dump my coins in. I have found a few beat up coins here and there and even an Eisenhower dollar last week.

Well today I checked again before dumping my weekly halves and I saw a few coins in there so I fished my hand in and grabbed them. On was a New Zealand $2 coin and the other was a 1921 Morgan dollar!

When I got my receipt and took it to the teller I asked if they had any large dollar and she said that she had $25 worth and asked if I would like them as part of my cash back, to which I said "sure".

There was another Morgan in that bunch, an 1890.

No mint mark on either coin but the reverse of the '21 has a weird impression. I don't know if this is some sort of strike through error or if it's PMD. If anyone has any insight as to what it could be, it's greatly appreciated.

So I walked out with my first ever silver dollars for face value. Well in this particular case, less than face valve.

Good luck to everyone and HH

Vdubguy
View attachment 1408694 View attachment 1408695 View attachment 1408696

:occasion14: Congrats on a GREAT SCORE! About the 1921 Reverse, it's not a strike thru error because there is complete detail underneath. If it was a strike thru, you would have been missing detail where the obstruction was. To me what ever it is it's PMD. It's always nice to get something good from the reject chute isn't it (lol)? As it's been said before "It's still out there". However you have to be in the right place at the right time as you were today (lol).
HH
Gary

Last edited:

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score! That looks like a strip of scotch tape stuck to the reverse.....have you tried peeling it off?

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score! That looks like a strip of scotch tape stuck to the reverse.....have you tried peeling it off?

It's indented into the coin, it is not glue or tape on the surface.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1921 Morgan in that condition is about $30+/-____________add another $15 for the error. be sure to check the reeding for defects :occasion14:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
:headbang: nice find Vdub!! That makes anyday a great day! :hello2: HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few close ups of the spot on the 1921. I tried to get an angle that shows it depressed into the coin. With the mark depressed into the coin but the detail is still visible, I wouldn't think it was just a scratch or gouge. Wouldn't that remove the detail from the leaves leaving a blank area. It seem that the coin may have had the gouge on it before it was struck since the detail is there. I could be completely wrong on this, that's why I'm asking everyone. I'm always learning something on here and thanks to everyone for their insights and comments. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485812838.578146.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485812851.996218.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485812864.320594.jpg

Last edited:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few close ups of the spot on the 1921. I tried to get an angle that shows it depressed into the coin. With the mark depressed into the coin but the detail is still visible, I wouldn't think it was just a scratch or gouge. Wouldn't that remove the detail from the leaves leaving a black area. It seem that the coin may have had the gouge on it before it was struck since the detail is there. I could be completely wrong on this, that's why I'm asking everyone. I'm always learning something on here and thanks to everyone for their insights and comments. View attachment 1408802 View attachment 1408803 View attachment 1408805

I agree. That is odd. You would think the blank was damaged first then struck afterwards. Its either a error or a acid drop.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my verdict is lamination error, meaning defective planchet that was struck leaving details present buy a bit weak in the "pit". again, $50 is a fair price----unknown supply with definite demand. could sell for well north of :dontknow: ___________whatever the last bid comes in at :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread