I hope I don't sound like a spoiled brat, but.........(CRH halves)

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've searched 24 boxes of halves in the last 2.5 years and not found one 90%er. I remember reading a post on here(before I started hunting halves) that I can expect to find one 90%er for every 25 boxes searched. Feedback? Is this estimate way off or am I in an unusual cold streak? Maybe you guys are weeding them all out before they get to my part of the country :whip2:

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's 1 out of 25 and you have done 24 boxes..I'd say go get that 25th box. It's bound to have that 90% in it.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Its all about volume and averages. I would say 24 boxes is pretty low volume to do any averages off of. But lets say in your next box you find 5 of them. You would have 5 90s in 25 boxes but that doesn't mean you found 1 in every 5 boxes. Its all hit or miss.

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Volume is the big thing to finding. What you looked through is about what I have been looking through in just three weeks. Try increasing your order if you have the funds and a place to get rid of the clad. Even with doing that much, I still get plenty of skunk boxes.

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for 5 months and have 34 90%ers in 86 boxes. With the boxes that had more than one, that leaves me with over 60 boxes that didn't have a 90. It's all about volume and luck. I hope you find one or more soon!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
1) what part of the country are you in? I know that some parts of Arizona are exceedingly dry (silver-wise).

2) how many different banks are you picking up from? It's relatively common to have skunk streaks from one bank while finding silver from other banks. I pick up from 3 different banks each week, and rarely have a skunk streak that lasts more than a week or two, though skunk streaks from individual banks often last far, far longer.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard the one in 25 rule. I would expect to find them much more often.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I live about 60 miles west of you, used to drive to Tucson and spend the day hunting halves, terrible. Then figured it was worth driving there to pick up ordered boxes used to get 4 at a time, terrible. That went on for months, gave up, Tucson was not kind to me and looks to be treating you about the same. Tucson is a big area and maybe you and I were just in the wrong part??? I now drive up to Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa and some other smaller towns, not getting rich, but found and finding more than I ever got in Tucson.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is any way to establish a norm in box or CWR's - for the obvious reason that nobody can possibly predict or chart how often the unknowing and uncaring may feed the circulating coinage with Silver and other collectibles , or in what quantities ! I think this is a very random endeavor - I also strongly disagree with the notion that increasing volume of boxes is the way to go . I would advocate mixing frequently between CWR's , MWR's , and boxes , and loose halfs from tellers also . Check banks on nearby roadtrips as well !

Last edited:
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) what part of the country are you in? I know that some parts of Arizona are exceedingly dry (silver-wise).

2) how many different banks are you picking up from? It's relatively common to have skunk streaks from one bank while finding silver from other banks. I pick up from 3 different banks each week, and rarely have a skunk streak that lasts more than a week or two, though skunk streaks from individual banks often last far, far longer.

All my boxes have come from Loomis. So there could be creedence to the "one bank/increased possibility of a cold streak" rule. I've got accounts at 4 different banks, but they all use Loomis as their carrier.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your silver is being culled by Coin Wrap...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread