Searched 2,000 dimes, found ZERO silver! But I did find a significant die crack.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past two days, I bought 10 rolls of dimes at 4 different banks. My end result was one Canadian dime (not silver) and ZERO silver coins! But I did find a really cool die crack. It's a 2001 P and in decent shape. Rosies with similar die cracks are selling for $60 to $100 on eBay, so it's actually a great find.

DSC06247.JPG

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is a nice Die Crack! I would say that the coin was struck very close to total Die Failure. It would be nice to find a whole bunch of 2001-P Dimes from the beginning of the Die Crack right up to when the Die failed. I once bought 5 Peace Silver Dollars from a roll that showed a fair progression of the beginning of a Die Crack all the way to total Die Failure from a Reverse Die but I was missing many of the in-betweens. If one could obtain every single coin struck with the same Obverse or Reverse Die from the beginning of a Die Crack to total Die Failure, then the collection would bring big money. I can't remember what I got for my' Peace Dollars but the price for all 5 was at least 4 to 5 times what I paid for them.

Frank

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually only check the edges of dimes when I CRH, but now I'm going to have to check all 10 rolls one by one. The odds are long, but it would be really amazing to find another one in the same batch. This one was on the end of a roll and was a CWR. Going to be a long night! LOL!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
And that, boys and girls, is why some of us actually do a bit more than look at the edges.

Congratulations, Tim.

In ten more hours it will be time for more coffee.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked all 2,000 dimes, but that was the only die crack. It was a long shot, but I had to know!

I bought another 20 rolls of dimes this afternoon, so I'll check them out tonight.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bet it would sell north of $70

That would be great if I could get that much for it! I may consider auctioning it on eBay and then use the funds to buy some junk silver dimes. It would be an indirect way to get a lot of silver coins from my CRH.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime right there is basically worth an entire roll of silver Dimes! Incredible find!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to update this thread. I auctioned the die crack Rosie for $56.00 on eBay. Not bad at all! I used the money (and another 12 bucks) to buy a lot of 42 junk silver Mercs. The seller gave me 2 extras, so I ended up with 44 Mercs! Great deal in my book!

DSC06542.JPG

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 10 bucks over melt, not a deal to me, but if you're happy with it

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 10 bucks over melt, not a deal to me, but if you're happy with it

I got 44 Mercury dimes for $12.10. That's $50.00 UNDER melt! Seems like a good deal to me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread