Stumbled Upon An Interesting Find

ThisGuy

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this awesome forum. There is a wealth of great information here! I really got hooked reading the CRH sticky although I have been interested in the hobby for awhile and ordered 3 or 4 boxes of halves before. I also have access to bags of halves which is really exciting. Reading about everyone else's finds though really got me into the mindset so I ordered a couple boxes. Yellow wrappers, searched 2,000 coins, found one 40% 1967. Not a total skunk but a little disheartening. So I decided to try my hand going around town to banks (whether I had an account or not) and boy did that payoff. First bank had nothing, second had 12 "Big" dollars (all were Ikes though- yes I still bought 'em all!). The third and final bank had $177.00 in halves (17 customer wrapped rolls and $7 in loose halves) so I offered to buy them all. I think I did alright...

IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
The first two pictures are for the same roll and since that was the best one I figured I leave them both in.

IMG_2782.JPG
Another great roll!

IMG_2783.JPG
Incredible!

IMG_2784.JPG

Interestingly almost all of the silver was 90%, including 19 in the first roll. Speaking of which I should point out that all the loose halves and 11 of the other rolls had no keepers. There were 2 random 40%'s in each of the two remaining rolls. For some reason I had such a good feeling (probably because the rolls looked old) that I could barely get these out of the bank and into the car before opening my first roll which had...nothing! Needles to say that kind of helped me not tear the other rolls open in the car like Superman and kept my expectations realistic.

IMG_2778.JPG
Here's another shot of the main/best roll.

IMG_2781.JPG
A picture of the days finds, including Ikes.

Final counts from the 4 dream rolls.
Roll #1
17 1964
1 Walker
1 Franklin
1 Bicentennial

Roll#2
11 1964
1 Walker
1 Franklin
1 1968-D
6 Bicentennial

Roll#3
12 1964
1 1966
1 1968 D
6 Bicentennial

Roll # 4
8 1964
1 Franklin
1 1967
3 1965
7 Bicentennial

A total of 48 1964's, 3 Franklins, 2 Walkers, 7 40%'s and 20 Bicentennials.

I checked all the other coins from each roll (3 or 4 times each) because I was thinking this had to be a collector who's spouse or heir didn't know what they had. No 1974 DDO or NIFC's. I would think whoever rolled them would have just kept all the 90%'s together but who knows why it was sorted the way it was. It's worth noting that all of the clad contained in the silver rolls was bicentennial for some reason. Also, none of the pictures have all of the coins together because I'm leaving them rolled the way I found them. That way I figure during a long skunk streak or dry spell I can always open one of those rolls and still be happy with it. Very interesting collection I found. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! I always do better with CWRs, but it's more work to go find them. Obviously for you it was worth the effort! Congrats

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Score there guy ! My best silver hauls have always been from Customer Wrapped Rolls (CWR's) rather than boxes . Welcome to Coin Roll Hunting !

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is what I call time well spent. Congrats!!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice haul, and thanks for sharing photos. FYI, there's nothing special about those bicentennials, to the contrary, they were among the highest mintages in the series.

OP
OP
T

ThisGuy

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice haul, and thanks for sharing photos. FYI, there's nothing special about those bicentennials, to the contrary, they were among the highest mintages in the series.
Thank you. I just thought it was an odd filler for silver rolls. They were 2 years (1975 and 1976) worth of mintage so the collector must have just liked that particular coin.

Sweet cull of silver. Always buy them all. Also, don't trivialize the Ikes. There are numerous varieties that are highly sought after by collectors. To learn more about the Ikes, check out The Ike Group
Thank you. I do personally appreciate the Ikes (even without the silver) and probably have around 100 from various round ups. The Ike group seems to be an easy rabbit hole to fall down(just spent a good half hour there). I figure if I'm not paying anymore than face that I can't really lose much on them.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and pleasant remarks.

Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Sometimes I feel like a broken record... But go back and buy all other denominations!

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with Zomotion on this one. Maybe there are solid silver rolls of quarters and dimes too. :occasion14: awesome score!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty incredible! I have only seen 4 CWRs in 17. I need to live vicariously as my area is inundated with a new wave of hunters and teller snipers. Most of my old pickup banks are in shambles staff wise with all my best allies gone. Boxes have been bleak in 17. I am hoping a few good posts like this will keep the fire alive for me.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great score! Amazing how much better CWR can be than boxes sometimes.

Sweet cull of silver. Always buy them all. Also, don't trivialize the Ikes. There are numerous varieties that are highly sought after by collectors. To learn more about the Ikes, check out The Ike Group

This is a great resource. I had no idea this existed until now. Lots of good information on the big dollars. Thanks!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool that you found a Walking Liberty. Never found one myself, CRHing. Nor have I found a Franklin. Both are on my bucket list. Congrats on the amazing score. 7up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread