Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

It has come to my attention that there is not enough information on YouTube regarding the shoulds and should-nots of coin roll hunting as a hobby. I would like to start a series where I provide the real stats and the reality behind coin roll hunting, along with useful information for beginners. I am aware of the stickies that have excellent information on coin roll hunting and I will use those as a resource when writing the series.

The reason I am making this post is to get your feedback. What are the most important things that YOU would like for newbies to know before they start? Thanks in advance!

- Ryan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A search for "coin roll hunting" on YouTube nets 147,000 videos, so there must be plenty of info out there. But if you think you can be helpful, feel free to post a video. Nothing wrong with that...

You are right, there is an awful lot of information out there. Perhaps I misspoke originally; I meant to say that there is not enough QUALITY information. I am aiming to create a real, clean, condensed version of all the information available to coin roll hunters. I will put it in a playlist. Then, newcomers who are looking up tutorials on how to coin roll hunt will find the playlist and learn enough about the hobby to read more into it and start for themselves.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very much like the ever-widening political division we see. Different sides feel very strongly about their very different views. When one side makes a public display of their view (or worse yet, publicly celebrates a "win"), the other side feels taunted and overreacts. It is an action-reaction cycle that is becoming accepted, even natural (almost as if we are conditioned to follow said cycle).

OP knows that probably half (or even more) of the audience here strongly disapproves of videos. He contends that his videos are different (he even has some minions who chant that same claim). Ryan says that he has an appreciative following in other venues and he doesn't understand why there are not more here that are on board. The unpleasant fact is that there are some/many here that will always see his promoting of his revenue-generating videos as rubbing salt in a wound. Right or wrong, when the strong disapprovers are poked, they will growl. I get the impression that this thread was perceived as a doubling down. Doubling down by either side ain't gonna help the cause.

LooseChange, you drive home some good points and I see you as one of the more moderate users here. Your views aren't polarizing, and it appears that you are happy to see both sides of the argument. So...why embrace this cycle you speak of? Why not battle against it? It is sickening for me to see this type of division. I am not trying to taunt anything. I realize that there is a differing opinion, but I also believe in conversation and compromise. If we just talk to each other, like we are right now, then we can come up with solutions that benefit everyone. I genuinely and sincerely want to make a series that helps newcomers. This idea alone was sparked from debate between myself and two other users who, might I add, have not yet chimed in on this post. I believe that respectful debate will always lead to productivity and advancement. Why shoot this down?

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ryan, since I was one of the commenters on your previous post I feel that I should chime in here as well. As mentioned by many already there is no way that you are going to be able to please the many sides of the CRH community and as also mentioned there are way more videos out there regarding coin roll hunting than the ones that you have taken the time to put together. If making videos while crhing is how you enjoy the hobby then by all means go for it. I have taken the time to view a couple of yours and you seem to have a good thing going...crhing/doing your video hobby/spending time with your bro, etc. To address the comments that I had made in your previous post, I would suggest interjecting in your commentary or text comments below the video with things such as "Hey, for any newcomers out there remember don't use pick up banks as your dumps, etc, etc." "Let's ensure we respect the unwritten rules of the hobby so that we can continue to enjoy it, etc" Once again, just a suggestion and since you have running commentary not to hard to interject between roll searches. I have seen other videos and there are those out there just portray the hobby as a quick money making scheme because of the "mounds of silver" that banks are "just giving away", etc. You don't want to be one of those and I hope you can see why some of us have a negative attitude regarding videos (myself included). We prefer doing our thing, enjoying our hobby, sharing our finds with fellow treasure hunters on forums such as this one and welcome you to do the same; but, you are definitely free to do your videos just understand why not all here would support it.

Good luck hunting and enjoy the day!
-TwoYewts

Thank you once again TwoYewts, I really appreciate the suggestions and will do my best to implement these changes in my videos! I have been doing research all day and writing the series that I have proposed in this post. I've learned a lot and now feel a lot more comfortable with the information that I can provide to my subscribers. You are right- there is plenty of room for friendly reminders with a running commentary format. I understand why you don't like certain videos out there- I am not a fan of many of them as well. I also understand if you don't like aspects of my videos. I have tried to differentiate myself from certain channels that I am consistently being associated with. Of course, actions speak louder than words, so now it's time to make the change for real. I will be addressing the over-dramatization of certain videos in this new series and I hope to set the record straight on what can be expected if you give this hobby a shot.

Once again, I really appreciative your helpful criticism. That is exactly what I was looking for in this post.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the world's foremost expert on my opinion, my opinion is that I like to watch instructional videos made by experts on that subject. Would you say that you are an expert or leading authority on crh? Anyone can post a video on whatever subject but the amount of usable information can be next to none or it can be very useful. I remember looking for videos on how to cook a pig in the ground. There are so many ways and everyone has what they think is the best. Hopefully viewers will realize the need more than a video posted on line to learn the hobby.

I do not consider myself an expert by any means, but I have been doing my research and I will do my best to provide adequate information to my viewers. I was planning on running certain pieces of information by the members on this forum to check my work for errors, but I will only do this if I see signs of productive criticism. If the members here do not want to help me provide information to the newcomers, then I see no reason why they should be allowed to criticize any false information that I mistakenly provide. But again, I am doing my very best to minimize this.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I realize that there is a differing opinion, but I also believe in conversation and compromise. If we just talk to each other, like we are right now, then we can come up with solutions that benefit everyone... I believe that respectful debate will always lead to productivity and advancement...

It is nearly impossible to have an online debate remain respectful. It is just way too easy online to resort to low blows when you get frustrated.
I would much rather read through well thought out points and counter points than see terms/phrases like "crybabies" and "need a life" thrown about (Which are obviously intended to be inflammatory because who would really believe that such language is "convincing"?). But, that is how it goes online.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Too many nervous Nellie's out there. No one will ruin your precious crh, give me a break. There are so many bad videos where people just ramble on and Ryan gets to the point and makes it fun. What a bunch of crybabies.
If your biggest fear of losing your crh hobby because of someone's video, you really need a life. Stop crying.

been at this a full year a see, dont get comfortable with that mind set guy. Your banks will surely trim that fat sooner rather then later

Last edited:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
You are right, there is an awful lot of information out there. Perhaps I misspoke originally; I meant to say that there is not enough QUALITY information. I am aiming to create a real, clean, condensed version of all the information available to coin roll hunters. I will put it in a playlist. Then, newcomers who are looking up tutorials on how to coin roll hunt will find the playlist and learn enough about the hobby to read more into it and start for themselves.

Here is the main issue. You can put lipstick on a pig at the end of the day its still a pig. Trust im happy your taking the time to make videos that will help the sheep understand this is not the roses some make it out to be. With that beings said it still doesnt change the point of why your page flawed to begin with. If you set your videos to private and only people with the link had access, IE posting them to the forum, I'd fully support them. You would have zero risk of some clown ruining a good thing for anyone one of us, or one of the thousands of other genuine hunters out there. But with these videos to me the risk is not worth the reward. Screw all of us think of yourself. What happens if 'Mike Smith' down the street screws up your pick up banks because of bad practices? How will you feel when you can no longer enjoy your hobby with your brother all because some clown was rude and thought he new it all from a 10 min video. That is the realization of these videos. Trust guy no one here is a nervous nelly or whatever verabage these randoms are saying. We have all just seen this time and again without videos. Anyone who has hunted for any length has seen a pick up bank go to crap for one of two reasons, A. Another hunter screwed up something you worked hard for. B. the bank got sick of the volume and 86ed it. Both are not only possible with newbies jumping in, but inevitable. Little story, TD bank used to have amazing half boxes back in 2011. Rich myself and a few others where hammering them for a year with amazing results. Word got out how good they where and before you new it everyone was hunting TD boxes. Sure enough before you new it they changed there policy as a bank. They no longer will order half boxes for anyone nation wide. An amazing thing screwed up because people had big mouths. Loose lips sinks ships

Last edited:

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say this, if you made videos and you posted them here on T-Net, I'd watch them and think that would be a better idea. But you go to You Tube and you give more people outside a site that is meant for the hobby ideas to just run to a bank and start getting boxes and boxes and boxes....you get the point. Make a page here in the CRH LOGS or Videos, let the newbies come to this site and find them. Sorry I stand with the old timers on this one. More info out and about is bad but more info on a site like this which is meant for the hobby might be a better way to go.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the main issue. You can put lipstick on a pig at the end of the day its still a pig. Trust im happy your taking the time to make videos that will help the sheep understand this is not the roses some make it out to be. With that beings said it still doesnt change the point of why your page flawed to begin with. If you set your videos to private and only people with the link had access, IE posting them to the forum, I'd fully support them. You would have zero risk of some clown ruining a good thing for anyone one of us, or one of the thousands of other genuine hunters out there. But with these videos to me the risk is not worth the reward. Screw all of us think of yourself. What happens if 'Mike Smith' down the street screws up your pick up banks because of bad practices? How will you feel when you can no longer enjoy your hobby with your brother all because some clown was rude and thought he new it all from a 10 min video. That is the realization of these videos. Trust guy no one here is a nervous nelly or whatever verabage these randoms are saying. We have all just seen this time and again without videos. Anyone who has hunted for any length has seen a pick up bank go to crap for one of two reasons, A. Another hunter screwed up something you worked hard for. B. the bank got sick of the volume and 86ed it. Both are not only possible with newbies jumping in, but inevitable. Little story, TD bank used to have amazing half boxes back in 2011. Rich myself and a few others where hammering them for a year with amazing results. Word got out how good they where and before you new it everyone was hunting TD boxes. Sure enough before you new it they changed there policy as a bank. They no longer will order half boxes for anyone nation wide. An amazing thing screwed up because people had big mouths. Loose lips sinks ships

What you fail to realize is how YouTube works. People either search for videos or they subscribe to channels. The chances that somebody will stumble upon a CRH video is so small. Unless they are into coins and subscribe to coin channels then they could possibly find a CRH video I their suggestions. Any person who is into coins will find out about CRH eventually.

If you would actually watch rryanq videos you will see his videos show exactly what it's like to be a CRH. He shows the bad along with the good. Even his good ones are only a few silvers in a whole box.

I don't agree with you that YouTube is going to be the death of CRH. CRH has been around for a long time and time hints just naturally change. You have to adapt and figure out how to dump and pick up that best fits your needs. If someone screws up your situation, you adapt or you stop hunting. This is a hobby, and so is YouTube video making. Rryanq has decided to combine the two and I applaud him. It takes a special person to be able to video themselves and take the time edit and post the video.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
What you fail to realize is how YouTube works. People either search for videos or they subscribe to channels. The chances that somebody will stumble upon a CRH video is so small. Unless they are into coins and subscribe to coin channels then they could possibly find a CRH video I their suggestions. Any person who is into coins will find out about CRH eventually.

If you would actually watch rryanq videos you will see his videos show exactly what it's like to be a CRH. He shows the bad along with the good. Even his good ones are only a few silvers in a whole box.

I don't agree with you that YouTube is going to be the death of CRH. CRH has been around for a long time and time hints just naturally change. You have to adapt and figure out how to dump and pick up that best fits your needs. If someone screws up your situation, you adapt or you stop hunting. This is a hobby, and so is YouTube video making. Rryanq has decided to combine the two and I applaud him. It takes a special person to be able to video themselves and take the time edit and post the video.

False on so many levels. One videos are not hard to make at all, anyone with a mac and Imovie can make a decent video. 2. I'm fully aware how Youtube works, it just so happens my career revolves around video and media. I work for one of the biggest independent sports production companies on the east coast. I regularly use FCP7 and Avid Media Composer for editing. I upload videos to our page pretty much every day. Searches on youtube are brought up by suggestions. For instance, Someone searches metal detecting. Watches a video depicting a silver find. Now that suggestion populates more metal detecting videos, lets say another has a title "huge silver find' under the suggestions, now said person clicks on that. Now under suggestions we have a video of silver, and wouldnt you know, here is a video of CRH silver finds. Honestly it is that simple. Some clueless clown has now stumbled upon a video that just quickly points out "valuable" coins can be found in boxs from banks. With zero back story or information. Next day guy wanders into his local bank asks for a box of halves, gets told we dont have any, and causes a stink in your watering hole all because someone NEEDS to show the world they can CRH. Attached is a screen shot from one of his comments sections of a video he posted. See any red flags? Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 7.05.41 PM.png

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
False on so many levels. One videos are not hard to make at all, anyone with a mac and Imovie can make a decent video. 2. I'm fully aware how Youtube works, it just so happens my career revolves around video and media. I work for one of the biggest independent sports production companies on the east coast. I regularly use FCP7 and Avid Media Composer for editing. I upload videos to our page pretty much every day. Searches on youtube are brought up by suggestions. For instance, Someone searches metal detecting. Watches a video depicting a silver find. Now that suggestion populates more metal detecting videos, lets say another has a title "huge silver find' under the suggestions, now said person clicks on that. Now under suggestions we have a video of silver, and wouldnt you know, here is a video of CRH silver finds. Honestly it is that simple. Some clueless clown has now stumbled upon a video that just quickly points out "valuable" coins can be found in boxs from banks. With zero back story or information. Next day guy wanders into his local bank asks for a box of halves, gets told we dont have any, and causes a stink in your watering hole all because someone NEEDS to show the world they can CRH. Attached is a screen shot from one of his comments sections of a video he posted. See any red flags? View attachment 1421368

Can you explain the attachment? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Can you explain the attachment? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Id gladly explain. Two things jump out. One laylady is quick to jump on board and proclaim she got her box today. Bc of your videos? Who knows but definitely could have been. More importantly the statement on Canadian nickels. Only thing worse then throwing out CRH information for the world to feast on. Throwing out poor information. You are 100% right post 82 nickels are worth .03. However pre 82 nickels are 99.9 fine nickel. They are valuable more so here in the US then in Canada because we have no laws on melting foreign coins. You are making this dude believe getting Canadians is a bad thing when in fact many people, myself included, collect pre 82 Canadian nickels for bullion.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
False on so many levels. One videos are not hard to make at all, anyone with a mac and Imovie can make a decent video. 2. I'm fully aware how Youtube works, it just so happens my career revolves around video and media. I work for one of the biggest independent sports production companies on the east coast. I regularly use FCP7 and Avid Media Composer for editing. I upload videos to our page pretty much every day. Searches on youtube are brought up by suggestions. For instance, Someone searches metal detecting. Watches a video depicting a silver find. Now that suggestion populates more metal detecting videos, lets say another has a title "huge silver find' under the suggestions, now said person clicks on that. Now under suggestions we have a video of silver, and wouldnt you know, here is a video of CRH silver finds. Honestly it is that simple. Some clueless clown has now stumbled upon a video that just quickly points out "valuable" coins can be found in boxs from banks. With zero back story or information. Next day guy wanders into his local bank asks for a box of halves, gets told we dont have any, and causes a stink in your watering hole all because someone NEEDS to show the world they can CRH. Attached is a screen shot from one of his comments sections of a video he posted. See any red flags? View attachment 1421368

I see no red flags. Unlike you I don't live my life in a constant paranoid state.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id gladly explain. Two things jump out. One laylady is quick to jump on board and proclaim she got her box today. Bc of your videos? Who knows but definitely could have been. More importantly the statement on Canadian nickels. Only thing worse then throwing out CRH information for the world to feast on. Throwing out poor information. You are 100% right post 82 nickels are worth .03. However pre 82 nickels are 99.9 fine nickel. They are valuable more so here in the US then in Canada because we have no laws on melting foreign coins. You are making this dude believe getting Canadians is a bad thing when in fact many people, myself included, collect pre 82 Canadian nickels for bullion.

To address your first point, Layla is a long time coin roll hunter who I have been in contact with for months. She updates me on her finds regularly and has even sent me a letter before. Very respectful woman, and a very respectful hunter. As for the second point...if you were to actually watch the video, just over one minute in, I describe the point system that my brother and I use for our competition hunt. There, I describe how pre-1982 nickels are worth 4 points due to their composition, while post-1981 nickels are worth -1 points (we added this fun rule to make the competition more interesting). It is implied that the commenter is addressing post-1981 Canadian nickels as having something "wrong" with them since we count them as -1 points. I've attached a screenshot from 1:14 in the video which shows you our point system in order to drive this point home.

IMG_3064.PNG

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay..okay. Guys and Gals in the end lets come to an agreed compromise shall we. Ryan, do your thing for as long as you enjoy it because no hobby is worth it if you are not enjoying it. Post threads to your videos for critique etc. (as long as it doesn't break any forum rules, which I don't believe it would) for those that wish to view them can do so with the understanding that you may not receive the type or amount of feedback you are looking for from those of us that will simply prefer that these videos did not exist. For those of us that do not prefer videos, I would reason that those members will simply skip over your posts and continue on our merry way. Now with this understanding, I do reserve the notion that if I were to show up at my typical pickup bank and encounter a numbnuts causing a CRH stick that I can ask him if he has seen one of your videos. If he has, you owe me some silver...sound fair? :laughing7:

Now everyone get back to checking those rolls...need some more new varieties to be discovered so the rest of us can search for them!

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now with this understanding, I do reserve the notion that if I were to show up at my typical pickup bank and encounter a numbnuts causing a CRH stick that I can ask him if he has seen one of your videos. If he has, you owe me some silver...sound fair? :laughing7:

-TwoYewts

Deal!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the thing. You don't have to do a whole video on things not to do. Just add a few into each video.

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lols at all of this :laughing7: seems the glory days for crh are over and have been for a while. (I never saw them) people need to chill and go buy some coins to search...while you can!!! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread