I spent 30 mins at the tellers counter, recounting my coins

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
So, yesterday I got 200 dollars in dimes, cwr. Went to cash them today in at a bank that I haven't been to in about 5 years, and the teller must not have recognized me. Now, I admit I was sleepy when I rolled them, and when she pointed it out, I could see that a few of the rolls were taller than the others. I probably should have paid more attention rolling them last night. The teller demanded that we recount every single roll, and basically said I was trying to scam the bank out of money (in a nice tone of voice).

One by one she dumped out the dimes, roll by roll into her trey, started counting out 5 dollars, and then rewrapped the coins. I probably could have done it faster myself, and I offered to, but she said she had to count them herself.

As I was standing there, I could tell the people behind me are getting impatient, but there was nothing I could do as they didn't have a coin counter machine. So she finally gets to 120 rolls, and there are still dimes on the table. I ended up with $1.70 extra. Only one roll was short, and it was only short by 1 dime.

Even though I hadn't shorted the bank any money, the teller was still extremely rude. I didn't find any silver, but hey, at least I still came out on top.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really are going to have to find a coin counter that you can run your coins through , even if you have to drive a long way to get to it. The other option is for you to run them through a coinstar machine at a cost to you - in other words the cost and inconvenience need to be on you not others !

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, yesterday I got 200 dollars in dimes, cwr. Went to cash them today in at a bank that I haven't been to in about 5 years, and the teller must not have recognized me. Now, I admit I was sleepy when I rolled them, and when she pointed it out, I could see that a few of the rolls were taller than the others. I probably should have paid more attention rolling them last night. The teller demanded that we recount every single roll, and basically said I was trying to scam the bank out of money (in a nice tone of voice).

One by one she dumped out the dimes, roll by roll into her trey, started counting out 5 dollars, and then rewrapped the coins. I probably could have done it faster myself, and I offered to, but she said she had to count them herself.

As I was standing there, I could tell the people behind me are getting impatient, but there was nothing I could do as they didn't have a coin counter machine. So she finally gets to 120 rolls, and there are still dimes on the table. I ended up with $1.70 extra. Only one roll was short, and it was only short by 1 dime.

Even though I hadn't shorted the bank any money, the teller was still extremely rude. I didn't find any silver, but hey, at least I still came out on top.

I think that you can now bring as much rolled coin as you want there. The teller knows you were not trying to screw them over now. Heck you were trying to overpay

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for ALL you newbies: put your town and state in your profile and then we can help you find a good dump bank.

like the posts that ask about a coin or relic they find----we's gots ta be knowin' wheres y'all dun found the :censored: thing so's we 'uns kins be heppin' youse to be knowin' what's youse be gottin's :BangHead::laughing7::laughing7:
all ya's gots ta do is axe us--- no chainsaws allowed
I hope I made this comment perfectly clear :dontknow:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will find that banks/tellers are nearly as concerned about overs as they are about unders. Either are bad for their books if they get noticed.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
You really are going to have to find a coin counter that you can run your coins through , even if you have to drive a long way to get to it. The other option is for you to run them through a coinstar machine at a cost to you - in other words the cost and inconvenience need to be on you not others !

One of my normal dump banks has a coin counter. I just happened to be in an area that I don't frequent as much anymore so I stopped at the only branch I knew of.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
for ALL you newbies: put your town and state in your profile and then we can help you find a good dump bank.

like the posts that ask about a coin or relic they find----we's gots ta be knowin' wheres y'all dun found the :censored: thing so's we 'uns kins be heppin' youse to be knowin' what's youse be gottin's :BangHead::laughing7::laughing7:
all ya's gots ta do is axe us--- no chainsaws allowed
I hope I made this comment perfectly clear :dontknow:

I wouldn't really consider myself a newbie, but thanks for your concern. I have a good dump bank that I usually go to, I just happened to stop at a different one that day.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The teller demanded that we recount every single roll, and basically said I was trying to scam the bank out of money...

That branch had probably been shorted several times by amateur hunters who had just finished watching CRH videos!

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Now to sit back and enjoy the carnage.

:happy1:
:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread