vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Always enjoy your vids David. Their are people that actually "hoard" copper pennies. Some even sell them to other penny collectors.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Sorry I don't burn up my data allowance watching videos... As for saving Copper pennies I was late to the party as usual. Was buying penny boxes to look for wheats and decided to save all the Copper as well. Right before the price dropped like a rock... Story of my life

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you enjoy spending the time doing it then go for it. In my case I saved a about $50 worthe of copper and got bored and my wife started yelling at me for taking up room in our house. If your going to hoard copper you are going to have to be in it for the long haul, and even then your not going to make much money off of it.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the point to saving the copper pennies? Aren't you saving them because of melt value? But you can't melt pennies legally, so where is the money to be made?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
In my case I saved a about $50 worthe of copper and got bored and my wife started yelling at me for taking up room in our house.

She got mad at you for taking up 2 boxes worth of room? Man, I'd think that would be easy enough to squirrel away somewhere in a dark corner or closet. I've got 40 some boxes of copper that she hasn't noticed yet.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Didn't watch the video, but there is much to be gained CRH'ing cents - always something to be found

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've hoarded the copper, but I no longer search cents. I can no longer see the dates, but I still keep any copper (by sound) when I get it in change. Always had the idea of selling for profit, but the margin is so small and the effort put into hoarding them doesn't make it worth it. So instead, I will be using my copper cents as a tiling medium.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I crh pennies for wheats, errors/varieties (still praying to land a sweet error worth $$) and for whatever other fun items that sometimes get caught up into a penny roll. The rest goes back into circulation.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hate to be redundant____________________________ERRORS
any CUD, large crack, die clash, clip, O/C, etc. error will more than pay for a bunch of rolls of coppers :icon_thumright:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Ace is, of course, correct. Let me add a bit of my own opinion, if I may. In addition to errors and varieties, there is also the less lucrative, but still profitable area of direct sale of coppers. That little niche is steady, but relatively small in my area. Buyers include stackers of all types, some collectors, metal artists, and a host of others.

I keep things local. Mostly Craigslist, coin clubs, preppers, artist guilds if they have bronze foundries. As I wrote above, the market is less lucrative than errors and varieties, but it is steady. Most of these folks are not going to come looking for you. Rather you have to look for the market.

Time for coffee.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't keep them, because to me it's a pointless waste of time. If they ever allow the melting of copper cents, there's gonna be a ton of them being turned in, lowing the price of scrap copper. What little profit margin that's there will be greatly reduced. That, and they take up too much space.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
More Cents are needed and produced by the Mints than Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars and Dollar coins. Therefore, they invariably will most always have more Errors and Varieties (Doubled Dies, RPM's, etc.) available to find than any other denomination, so happy hunting.

Frank

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-----------------And, if I had a quarter for every rotting penny I have dug :BangHead:------ and a half for every green wheatie :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

david.jensen

Sep 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very helpful, I'll look into those mentioned places if I want to sell!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread