Arizona Update

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just went through another skunk box of Loomis dimes(just to see if anything has changed....of course, not!). Dimes and quarters in Arizona have now been silverless for almost 2 years now. Back in the day, I used to find a silver quarter and silver dime ONCE IN A WHILE. Now, it's a skunk ALL THE TIME. And it happens because some idiot at Loomis got greedy and decided to calibrate their machines to filter the silver. I hope he's reading this post and realizes how much I hate him and what a jerk he is.
Folks, It's so easy to do, I'm surprised this hasn't happened in other parts of the country or has it? So tell me, are any of you out there finding silver in the dime/quarter bank boxes?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just searched 4 boxes of dimes and they yielded one silver. Not good but it is out there.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
7up - I hope this helps, not hurts, but I'm on vacation in Arizona this week and haven't found any silver halves yet. However I did pick up 10 rolls each of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. From these I pulled out two wheats, a '43-P war nick and a '65 Canadian dime that's 80% silver. Pulled them out of a retiree heavy area. Have another travel day today and will try to scoop up some more halves. Keep up the good fight.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That doesn't even make sense.

Ask the Loomis Guard if they drop off bagged coins at Coin Wrap's facility, then pick up boxed coins from them. Then it will all make sense.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7up - I hope this helps, not hurts, but I'm on vacation in Arizona this week and haven't found any silver halves yet. However I did pick up 10 rolls each of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. From these I pulled out two wheats, a '43-P war nick and a '65 Canadian dime that's 80% silver. Pulled them out of a retiree heavy area. Have another travel day today and will try to scoop up some more halves. Keep up the good fight.

I assume those rolls were all machined.....which are the ones I'm complaining about....and thanks for the feedback Twitch.....

Congrats on the '65 Canadian. But I believe it passed through because it is 80%--not 90% silver. Coincidentally, the LAST silver dime I found(machine rolled) was a Canadian from the 1950s--which I also believe is 80% silver. And that was about 2 years ago. Some of you guys keep thinking this is all in my head, but it's not. I have a 29 box Quarters cold streak and a 26 box Dimes cold streak---all Loomis. Before the streaks started, I was consistently finding silver(I would rarely go more than 3 boxes without finding at least one). The proof is in the pudding. I welcome feedback from other parts of the country.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Loomis the only game in town? Maybe try a few banks that use other coin companies?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I assume those rolls were all machined.....which are the ones I'm complaining about....and thanks for the feedback Twitch.....

Congrats on the '65 Canadian. But I believe it passed through because it is 80%--not 90% silver. Coincidentally, the LAST silver dime I found(machine rolled) was a Canadian from the 1950s--which I also believe is 80% silver. And that was about 2 years ago. Some of you guys keep thinking this is all in my head, but it's not. I have a 29 box Quarters cold streak and a 26 box Dimes cold streak---all Loomis. Before the streaks started, I was consistently finding silver(I would rarely go more than 3 boxes without finding at least one). The proof is in the pudding. I welcome feedback from other parts of the country.

7up - I found those in CWR's so it's a little different animal. I'm on a 5 box skunk streak with halves, probably my longest in 6 months. I have two more coming in today that will hopefully break the cycle. Good luck.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
On dimes an quarters I usually only hunt bags. I've never had a dime bag (what?) without silver. I find silver in just over half the quarter bags. Never hit a good score on either. Usually 0-2 quarters and 1-6 dimes.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On dimes an quarters I usually only hunt bags. I've never had a dime bag (what?) without silver. I find silver in just over half the quarter bags. Never hit a good score on either. Usually 0-2 quarters and 1-6 dimes.

How lucky you are to be able to buy bags. I only inquired at one bank--Wells Fargo---and they said I would need a commercial account to buy bags. The required minimum balance to open an account and avoid monthly fees was quite high from what I remember. At the time I wasn't willing to invest that much money but it may be worth it to look into it again. If you're finding at least SOME silver in the bags, then maybe it might be worth it. BTW Twitch do you go through the dime and silver bags one coin at a time? Lastly, how much do the quarter bags cost?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread