Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this dime, is this some time of mint error or pmd? Thanks!

20170627_151019.jpg 20170627_151024.jpg

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like PMD---hammer time. wait on Huntsman & Enamel. reverse would show if it was a partial planchet punch, methinks :dontknow:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very nice find!!........ It is a "struck-thru" error....something roundish got in between the obverse die and the planchet which resulted in the lack of detail you see on over 50% of the obverse......my other thought was a retained clip but heavily leaning towards struck-thru.....It surely has value but I'll let someone else chime in on that....

HH all!

Greg

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. At first I would agree with PEA; but, if it was hammered wouldn't the rim be flattened as well? From the pic it looks like the rim is the same height all around. I don't see an indentation on the rim. Just my .02.

-TwoYewts

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a struck thru to me. I had a buddy who had that on a state quarter.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as Yewts says, the rim is the conundrum :dontknow:.
is the "line" just a line or is the lower area of the coin lower than the area above the "line"?
send a photo to Mike Diamond for his eval. at [email protected]
bet Huntsman will jump in and we all will be schooled :laughing7:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a lamination error due to impurities in the alloy on the planchet. The metal loss was before striking - hence the mushy details as the metal failed to fill the die's devices.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is manmade. No lamination error I've ever seen was that perfect. It looks like the inner rim has been compressed also. If you also look at the letters in the area you can see the lettering is spread out as compared to the rest of the coin. A lamination falling off wouldn't show larger lettering underneath. Strike through wouldn't apply because the outer rim isn't affected. Don't know what was used, but it was intentional.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
This is manmade. No lamination error I've ever seen was that perfect. It looks like the inner rim has been compressed also. If you also look at the letters in the area you can see the lettering is spread out as compared to the rest of the coin. A lamination falling off wouldn't show larger lettering underneath. Strike through wouldn't apply because the outer rim isn't affected. Don't know what was used, but it was intentional.

SMH....This is as far away from man-made as possible, geez......it is a struck-thru error, period.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not a lamination error. Maybe it was a coin left in the collar and a blank planchette was struck on top. That could explain why the rim still has some integrity.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
It's definitely not a lamination error. Maybe it was a coin left in the collar and a blank planchette was struck on top. That could explain why the rim still has some integrity.

If helpful, this is the description for the Ike Dollar........."NGC 1971-D Ike dollar with a 50% obverse struck-thru clad layer. The coin was struck through an Ike dollar clad layer that was laying on top of this coin when it was struck, creating the blurry struck-thru area"......

Also worth noting to the OP is that they are asking $1,500 for the Ike.....not saying the dime is worth that much but it lends some insight as to rarity.....I personally can't believe this circulated for so long without being noticed.....

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for the replies. It sounds based on what some of you all have said that this is a Struck-Thru error. If so, what is a ball park estimate on value? Is this something worth having graded? Thanks!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Enamel7 struck the nail on the head, so to speak. The descriptive by 1235CE is an accurate picture of what happened. This also allows for the appearance of the doubled rim visible on the reverse. I have a similar nickel somewhere in the safe (I think), but not so severe. About 2mm, if I remember correctly.

Time for iced espresso.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread