what is the strangest crh find you have found

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest find. One year my Ex got me a few rolls of halves from the local bank for my birthday. In one roll, instead of half dollars, it was full of old English Pennies, 1850's to early 1900's if I remember correctly. My wife at the time asked me if I wanted to turn them back in for the halves I was suppose to get. I said "no way", to me they were worth more than 50 cents each. I posted that story here a few years ago

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crude HOBO Buffalo nickel, 6 magic trick halves (each sold for $8-9), 3 2-headed Jeffs, blank Jeff, blank copper cent

plus all the starfish, beaver tails, fish, pfennigs, harps, balboas, pigs -----just the usual foreign---- AND---THEY ALL GET SOLD for face & higher

now, what do I find today :dontknow: :dontknow: ??? :laughing7:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Mine was a two tailed Jefferson nickel I found coin roll hunting back in about 1975. I'd ride my bike up to the bank and get as many rolls of nickels that I had money for and take them home and search for oldies. I thought I hit the jackpot with such an error coin, only when my dad got home he showed me that the diameter was smaller than a normal nickel and he explained why one would make a two tailed coin. I lost it several years after while jumping on a trampoline. It came outta my pocket and I saw it hit the sand but couldn't find it. I went back to the abandoned area about 15 year later with my detector but someone beat me to it as the hole area had been worked hard by other detectorists. HH ALL

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::sad11:
Mine was a two tailed Jefferson nickel I found coin roll hunting back in about 1975. I'd ride my bike up to the bank and get as many rolls of nickels that I had money for and take them home and search for oldies. I thought I hit the jackpot with such an error coin, only when my dad got home he showed me that the diameter was smaller than a normal nickel and he explained why one would make a two tailed coin. I lost it several years after while jumping on a trampoline. It came outta my pocket and I saw it hit the sand but couldn't find it. I went back to the abandoned area about 15 year later with my detector but someone beat me to it as the hole area had been worked hard by other detectorists. HH ALL

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 clipped finger, (or toe)nails in a roll.... ugh.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that is gross

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine was a 1876 three cent piece (nickel composition), found in a bank box of dimes, in fairly good shape. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499995430.861383.jpg
Sorry guys, confusion is presently between the seated 1876-cc dime, there is a 1873 3-cent coin. Both coins were found in bank boxed dimes, at different times and different banks. However, both found in the WILD. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500141859.377532.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500141984.804394.jpg

Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once got a bunch of dime rolls that must have been rolled by some kind of animal. There was coarse thick black hair stuffed in every roll. Needless to say it was disgusting and I washed like 20 times, no idea wth it was.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bear needed a pack of Charmin from the trading post :dontknow: ??? :laughing7:
I once got a bunch of dime rolls that must have been rolled by some kind of animal. There was coarse thick black hair stuffed in every roll. Needless to say it was disgusting and I washed like 20 times, no idea wth it was.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a bag of halves I found a room key tag, old and looked like it had been dug up.

In a mwr of dimes I found a small memory card from a camera or phone. Never did see what wa son it though, lost it a few weeks later.

image.jpg

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A token good for 5 cents in merchandise at Gleason's Cigar Store Missoula, Mont. found in a bag of nickels.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Found an SD card in a bag of halves off the coin counter.
Like a dufus, I loaded it into my camera.
Install malware.
Render camera inoperable, in turn, infecting laptop. :BangHead:

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those usually come from the Chinese who work at the Asian restaurants. I can just picture them leaning over while they're counting out the dimes to put in the wrapper. It's actually fairly common as I've gotten more than a few like that; It's gross.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those usually come from the Chinese who work at the Asian restaurants. I can just picture them leaning over while they're counting out the dimes to put in the wrapper. It's actually fairly common as I've gotten more than a few like that; It's gross.
IF you service American homes, carpets are GROSS! Wet knees are common - pubes in the HOUSE!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an SD card in a bag of halves off the coin counter.
Like a dufus, I loaded it into my camera.
Install malware.
Render camera inoperable, in turn, infecting laptop. :BangHead:

AAAARGH You got set up! Too sneaky.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the bank and asked for $10 in pennies. Thought it to be unusual that the wrappers were solid red. Got home and discovered they were all wheaties. 7 were steel.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sasquatch!
I've got a few unusual/strange finds. One was a liberty bell centennial token from a roll of cents. Another was a 1909 LWC that had the reverse design removed and the letters WP engraved. From nickels, i pulled what someone starting making into a hobo buffalo nickel. From dimes, a seated liberty love token. Nothing unusual from quarters and some interesting foreign silver from halves along with the occasional guitar pick,too many things to mention there. From a coin counting machine, a counterstamped nickel 3 cent pc.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread