Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people mark coins it is dumb how they do that

The do it to track if they're getting their searched coins back. I personally think it proves nothing. They can dump into another supplier, but if someone buys from that supplier and dumps back into his supply.......

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I posted the following last year.

"I regularly find halves and other coins with one thing or another put on them by sharpies or similar markers. I find it annoying. A few years ago I ran into a coin counter bag that had over 200 coins marked. Three of these were significant errors. A 1974D Doubled-Die, a Bicentennial Cud ('76D if I remember right), and a major die crack. I find the practice of coin hunters marking coins to be a sign of abject stupidity that cost this coin hunter about $100 in lost revenue in just one bag."

My latest annoying find, a few months ago, was an old Jefferson nickel with a repunched mint mark. The letters "RPM" were on the reverse. The coin, a 1942D over horizontal D, would likely have graded about 55, but the marking, even if cleaned, would degrade the value by 25% to 50%.

Personally, I do not care what anyone's reason is for marking coins they have searched. It is still a sign of if someone that is operating on "The Not So Bright Side".

I would continue, but it is time for more coffee.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my brother found a 54 nickel with a black x on the back of it

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
I imagine most people find this sort of thing periodically. There is a relatively small (thankfully) subset of CRHers that just don't care that other people in the world are trying to collect coins from circulation.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
I mark halves, but only very circulated 1971 and 1976 years. This way you will never interfere with any coin collectors.

People who mark proofs, NIFC'S, AU-BU, or any other collectble coins need to stop.

HH, JJ

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Which begs the question: Why just those years? Are there not a wide variety of errors that would be reduced in value by such marking, even 1971 and 1976 halves? Cuds, die cracks, etc. occur every year, even today.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Why just those years? Because they are the highest minted halves made. I'll be keeping any errors. The coins I mark have no additional value.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It's fully pointless. If you get a box with 900 of your marked halves and 100 Franklin's are you going to swap sources because you're getting boxes with 90% of your own coins back? If you get 50 skunk boxes in a row but not a single of your marked coins are you going to up your order because they're all 'fresh' coins to search?

The only reasonable way to mark coins is to take the keepers out. That way when you find a box with keepers you'll know it's good, and a box with no keepers is bad. If you think searching your own rejects is somehow better or worse then searching someone else rejects?...... well I can't help you with that.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(A) any :censored:-:censored:er who marks coins needs to explore the lava dome of a volcano :cussing: :angry4: :tard: :angry5: , and YES_______________PLEASE BE OFFENDED, :censored:-hole

(B) to those who think it's "FUN" to PAINT quarters-----

read "(A)"--- if your single brain cell will allow that much effort to be expended in a short time frame :BangHead::BangHead:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have found "keeper" Kennedy halves that were marked, probably around 10 NIFCS (a couple of them proofs). Since I am building P & D Dansco albums for my grandkids, I need all the dupes I can find. So, I clean off the marked "keepers" with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol, then rinse with soap and water. I hate to do it, but got to get rid of the Sharpie marks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread