Metal detecting

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started CRH in January, 2017 as I got back into coin collecting in earnest. I started MD in April with my first detector, an AT Pro. My initial thought is I would find a lot of silver and Wheaties to fill holes in my albums, but I have found nearly all clad with only 3 wheats. My town here in Texas is not as old as towns back east so I think I'm at a disadvantage in finding older coins. My MD is mostly in parks and schools, I need to find some private older neighborhoods to detect in, but the older parts of town were built in the 40's-50's so not that old. Still, I enjoy both CRH and MD and spend my free time doing both. I enjoy opening rolls and digging signals to find out what treasure is there! I have to honestly say, though, that I am way more successful with my CRH, lol!

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've MD-ed since 1996, CRHed off and on since the 70's. I have found a higher volume of silver from CRHing, but for getting old obsolete coins MDing is the way to go. I've never CRHed a large cent, two cent piece, three cent piece, Flying Eagle cent, etc., but have found them with a detector. Also my signature picture was found MDing, an 1861-O half.

My strangest find detecting so far, was back 20 years ago in my front yard by my driveway and the road. Laying down a few inches below the surface I encountered a railroad iron piece of track. I duct a foot or two of it up and it kept going deeper, so I just covered it back up. One day I'll probably go dig it up, as long as it does not go under the road in front of my house. The railroad use to run a half mile north of me, not sure how a piece of the track ended up under my lawn.

Since this is a CRH forum my oddest CRH find was when I got a roll of half dollars from the local bank that weren't half dollars, but instead they were all large English pennies with some dating back to the 1860's if I remember correctly. I posted about it here on the forum a few years back.

Happy Hunting All.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I MD, CRH, Coinstars, parking lots and heck, I even pick up the change from the front of drive-up windows.........get a wheat penny every now and then just lying on the ground from fast food places :laughing7:

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , it makes sense really to treasure hunt in as many formats as you possibly can !

I agree, started CRH as a kid, added MD as a teen largely because of my interest in coins, and after a long dormant phase are back to doing both. I also enjoy garage and estate sales and participate in those forums as well. Cool thing is my teenage son also has the treasure hunting 'bug' as well, although not so much the MD part these days. Tnet is the only site that I know of that covers all aspects of treasure hunting.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fun and interesting to your stories. This is truly a fun hobby, both ND and crh. I'll probably add yard and estate sales too.

It's also fun sharing a hobby with my 7yr old grandson. He wants a treasure box now, instead of mason jars.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fun and interesting to your stories. This is truly a fun hobby, both ND and crh. I'll probably add yard and estate sales too.

It's also fun sharing a hobby with my 7yr old grandson. He wants a treasure box now, instead of mason jars.

That's cool Vern2, enjoy your time with your grandson. My 5 year old grandson lives too far away. I did set up "Treasure Hunt" in his yard when he was four and he loved finding the coins I planted that he later helped me "find" with my new MD, lol!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool Vern2, enjoy your time with your grandson. My 5 year old grandson lives too far away. I did set up "Treasure Hunt" in his yard when he was four and he loved finding the coins I planted that he later helped me "find" with my new MD, lol!
That's cool too, txag. When I first got into md wit him, I also planted coins in our yard for him to find, using a Makro pin pointer. He soon "out grew" that, to crawling under bleachers finding coins . Just a lot of fun and quality time. For him and me.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CRH and metal detect. I was searching this website and found the crhing section and that's what got me restarted in CRHing back in 2006. Made some substantial finds in both hobbies.
I also got my father interested in CRHing, it's a good hobby for someone whos retired. Also bought him a detector. At 81, he doesn't use it much.

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

they got to start some where

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I started CRH in late 2012, and then started metal detecting in April 2013. I haven't bought a coin box since 2015 though, I need to start again soon!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I CRH and metal detect. I was searching this website and found the crhing section and that's what got me restarted in CRHing back in 2006. Made some substantial finds in both hobbies.
I also got my father interested in CRHing, it's a good hobby for someone whos retired. Also bought him a detector. At 81, he doesn't use it much.

My son recently bought me a very nice guitar. "I don't use it much."
I metal detect, but it's still rough on the old hands. Stooping and getting back up two dozen times is taxing. I wonder how long I can keep this up.
CRH? Piece of cake. Your daddy knows what I'm talking about. It's all good though. Quiting is even more difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread