Unexpected Coinstar Find Today!

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been using the Coinstar too much for dumping as I've put together a pretty good routine with using my cash register for my business to dump. I did have a basket of unrolled coins that had been riding around in my car for a couple weeks and decided I'd put them into the Coinstar to offset my purchase at Walmart today.

I did my usual checks around the machine and the coin return and didn't find anything, so I started dumping. Got thru it all and heard the clunking of the rejects coming in the the return. I reach in and grab.... a 1943 Steel Penny?!?! Where the heck did this come from?!

Now, I know all of us CRH's are extremely diligent about checking and then rechecking all our rolls as they come through, and this was my dump pile. I cannot fathom how I would have missed this coin!

So... does that mean that Coinstar gave me a gift? Maybe it was 'stuck' in the return shoot but didn't fully process for the previous user?

Has anyone else experienced this before?

1943 Steel Penny Front.jpg 1943 Steel Penny Back.jpg

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It's a penny. Most only see it that way.

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mostly alluding to the fact that the Coinstar gave me a back that I did not actually put in the machine. I know there are some other CRH's on this form that like to discuss the inner workings of the machines and thought this was interesting.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the weight of the steel cent didn't pass its parameters, so it kicked it out? In any event, great find and very nice condition! Congrats! :occasion14:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was mostly alluding to the fact that the Coinstar gave me a back that I did not actually put in the machine. I know there are some other CRH's on this form that like to discuss the inner workings of the machines and thought this was interesting.

This happened to me once when I dumped a couple dollars worth of cents into a Coinstar and out came a silver '64 quarter in the reject tray. It was not in the tray before I started. Maybe the machine tried to reject one of my cents and the quarter got knocked loose. Anyways, it was an unexpected bonus!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Happens a lot on the big coin machine at one of my banks. Just last Saturday I was dumping my dimes, then CLUNK. When I got my cash voucher, I got credit for a one dollar coin, but yet I never heard it spinning around before I even dropped any of my dimes. A gift I guess.

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take any of these gifts the machines are willing to throw out!!:occasion14:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the coinstars have a magnet to catch foreign and steel cents as well as other junk. Its possible your coins could have knocked the steel cent offthe magnet.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wonder how many wheat cents were cashed in with that one steel cent stopped by the magnet.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does COINSTAR have their own coin processing company, or are they picked up by (Brinks, Garda, Loomis, etc)? If their own company, has anyone ever tried buying rolls,boxes,etc from them?

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does COINSTAR have their own coin processing company, or are they picked up by (Brinks, Garda, Loomis, etc)? If their own company, has anyone ever tried buying rolls,boxes,etc from them?

In my area loomis services the coinstar machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions