Why is it???

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I called a bank today and they do have a box of halves and as soon as the teller asked if I am a member I was like uuuhhhh not but I can pay cash...Teller said not u gotta be a member.. I can easily say a small fib to my gf, but to a teller that I dont know and especially over the phone I said the truth?? I'm going to walk in the bank 2moro with cash on hand and hopefully I dont get the teller I spoke with today but what do the rest of you guys do or say? Has it happened to anyone else?

Upvote 0

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do the same thing, just go to the bank and hope they don't ask if you're a member. I also would have a hard time with that fib because it would be awkward if they asked for an account number or something. Most banks around me don't even ask if I'm a member when I ask for coins, but some have. Otherwise I would just make an account somewhere that would be willing to supply boxes.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to open an account at a bank to avoid an 8 % charge for using their coin machines. If I can do that, I'm sure I can manage opening an account providing they are periodically going to give me a few boxes of halve dollars.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Sometimes you have to open accounts to get boxes. Fact of life. Oftentimes once opened, those accounts lead to great relationships with the tellers and great boxes...

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would just open an account. Since I started this hobby I now belong to about 6 different banks. It makes it easier to dump coins. I had a similar experience at a bank . The teller says she has almost $400 in crw but I have to have an acct. I opened an account, bought the halves they had and when I got home to search through them I ended up with 6 rolls of 40%ers. You never know.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I called a bank today and they do have a box of halves and as soon as the teller asked if I am a member I was like uuuhhhh not but I can pay cash...Teller said not u gotta be a member.. I can easily say a small fib to my gf, but to a teller that I dont know and especially over the phone I said the truth?? I'm going to walk in the bank 2moro with cash on hand and hopefully I dont get the teller I spoke with today but what do the rest of you guys do or say? Has it happened to anyone else?
Yes, this has happened to me a number of times. Sometimes tellers ask if I am a member sometimes they don't. One nice teller sold me several hundred MWRs at a bank I did not belong to. I didn't find any silver, but she was so friendly and could order boxes for me so I signed up. Since then I have gotten a number of boxes with some silvers and a $323 partially filled bag of halves off their coin machine that had 34 silvers. They are the friendliest people I've ever met. I can't wait for my next bag of halves!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts at most banks. Often tellers inform me someone has picked up halves right before I got there. My answer is always " well as long as they have an account its first come first serve." The tellers don't check often and I go to banks where I am not a member. If they ask, I say "not yet but I am thinking about opening an account." I get turned down on occasion but that's the game.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had banks refuse to sell me coins because I did not have an account with them. More than once though, the branch manager would override the rules to get rid of those pesky unwanted half dollars.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I also don't like lying that much (although I may fib when I tell the wife I just went to the coin store to talk, ignore the bulge in my pocket)

I have opened accounts at about 6 banks around me, all of them had no interest savings accounts that could be opened for $10. However Bank of America here changed to need $1500 minimum to avoid fees, I dumped all my accounts there!
The only good thing I can say about BOA is that someone was using them as a dump bank, I did also, and about 4 years ago I asked if they had any halves, knowing most of them would be mine but I hadn't been there in a while so figured what the heck (i run hot and cold on CRHing) they had 32 rolls of halves, most were mine (marked) but as I checked the few that were not mine I opened one and there was a Walker. I dumped the roll, 20 Walkers! Then the next roll exactly the same thing. I got two CWR's of WALKERS, My best find ever.

I have two banks with coin machines, unfortunately TD Bank dropped their machines. I prefer to use a machine if it is free to depositors rather than dump coins in a bank, UNLESS I know someone has the bank locked up for CWR's, one of the banks with a counting machine has agreed to give all CWR's to one person so I don't mind dumping coins there!

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

update: I did go yesterday in the afternoon to that bank and asked if they had halves and was told last box was given out Thursday.... Well may be I'll try the just walk in approach next time... Oh and I wasn't asked If I was a member..

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However Bank of America here changed to need $1500 minimum to avoid fees, I dumped all my accounts there! The only good thing I can say about BOA is that someone was using them as a dump bank...........
At least you have a BofA. I have been with BofA for probably 30-50 years. Last year I moved to a small town and went to the BofA to transfer, get checks and open a safe deposit box.

The teller said she can not do that because BofA is closing down and leaving town. Now the closest is 97 miles. Only about 4-5 banks in whole county.

Once I went into a bank and the nice teller said she did have several rolls of halves but was I a member. I told her sorry no. She kind of grinned and said she will still sell me the rolls any way. She quietly bent over and reached into some drawer and pulled out the rolls. I thought about telling her not to bend over like that when she wears that top but she is not my daughter so I didn't. So i got the rolls and a free show.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I moved from BofA to TD Bank as I can't stand BoA's phone system. TD is also open 7 days a week and very friendly.

Here in SE Mass we have 5 or 6 banks in every town, a surplus of riches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread