GIANT SCORE!!! 25 silver halves 30 silver dimes - 1 day 2 banks!! 2nd biggest ever

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gone from CRHing for almost 2 years, in fact 2 of my banks closed my accounts that I had opened so I could say I was a client. Will have to go to the state to get the $10 back from each account. Yes I opened them with as little as I could.

Well today I had to go to the bank so decided to ask for some CWR of dimes, they had 7 but the teller also had 33 rolls of BWR rolls (Guardia) so I said I would take them all. I am so happy I did!!! But before we get to that, I then went to my next bank to update my account that I hadn’t touched in 4 years, ($35 there) they still had it!
Before I left I asked if they had any customer rolls. They said they thought they had one. They came out with 5, one was a $20 roll. I noticed that someone had written the dates of “the coins in the rolls” on them.
Took em out to my jeep and dropped them on the dime rolls on the passenger seat. Started driving home and couldn’t wait at a light I picked up the 64-69 roll and looked in the end, there was a 1968!!! SO IT MIGHT BE!!!! When I got home I photographed the rolls and then left to go to the 4th bank so see if they still had my account, nope. BUT they said when I open an account I could order boxes of halves!!!

Back home and decided to film opening the rolls that might have Silver. Did the 69-72 first. And found 5 40%! Then opened the 64-69 3 90% Kennedy’s and 17 40% Kennedy’s A ROLL OF SILVER!!!!

Now to the dimes, first the CWR, nothing.

Now the BWR’s, first one nothing, second nothing, they consistently 1-2 and a couple 3’s of silver in each roll. Only a few didn’t have silver! Some one must have dumped in a coinstar or something.

I AM GOING BACK TO THE BANK TOMORROW — THEY ARE OPEN — AND BUY ALL THE BWR’S OF DIMES THEY HAVE LEFT (I HOPE)

What a welcome back!

Youtube video is of opening the hoard!!

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool, no more whining for the next month

PS you anywhere near Plymouth?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shucks, I'm going to be on the beach in Plymouth in may

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to beach hunt with a GTI 2500 but since my knees got bad arthritis I had to give it up, it is the bending but more so the weak legs standing for a long time.

Lots of black sand in Mass. Scusset is nice but I never had much luck there. Did well at Myles Standish state park, 3 different swimming areas. Duxbury Beach, the public part is a good spot and I always did well there. Also over the bridge and down the cape to West Dennis, that beach is also very good, about 30 minutes from Plymouth

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
appreciate the info

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Opening the bank dime rolls the silver just kept coming! It was like being in the early70's. I usually get skunked as you can tell from my pre-2017 totals, that reflect at least several hundred rolls of coins searched.

There are also a lot of small town commons and parks, however be careful in the state parks it is illegal to detect except in areas of sand around swings etc. But our commons go back to the 1600's. My oldest find around here was a 1787 cent

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured that any public land in mass was off limits, good to know ( you'll bail me out? right?)

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I figured that any public land in mass was off limits, good to know ( you'll bail me out? right?)

Don't worry the public stocks aren't that bad in May and the tomatoes aren't ripe yet so no one will be throwing them at you.

Unless someone has caused a town to put a park or common off limits they are open to detecting, just prob and dig with flaps and fill your holes. You could spend a lifetime around here and not run out of places to hunt. There also private parks/campgrounds etc. In May the ground should be moist and give good signals. But the good thing about SE Mass is you can work the woods and commons and on the same day hit the ocean beach!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one other item

I assume that wearing my peyton manning jersey is ok?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the bank today and asked for any dimes rolls they had left, they only had 11 CWR's, no silver in them.

I had hoped there was the rest of the Gaurdia box, but I must have gotten the last of it yesterday.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I have always been a casual CRHer often get discourage at spending 4 hours for a single dime when I can go to the coin store and get a Mercury for $1.50 which is why I have coffee cans filled with junk silver

BUT it is the thrill of the hunt, and feeling like Indiana Jones!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: you hit it on the HEAD as, the THRILL OF THE HUNT. All finds are at FV, that's the better end of the deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread