Nice proofs worth keeping?

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the road and stopped at a bank that had $30 in halves. Pulled 2 -40% and a bunch of
Proofs that are flawless. You can tell they were just broken out of the cases. Included in them was a 1987-s and a 1979-s Susan b Anthony. They are all immaculate. Thanks for any advice. Normally I do not keep
Proofs because they were found in boxes and banged up. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1511287754.884470.jpg

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea keep them is that Susan b Anthony dollar a type 1 or 2

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet worth some money right there about 30 to 50 bucks probably

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The criteria that I always use is to ask myself >>honestly<< . . . If I saw that coin at a show, would I pay $0.50 for it?
If yes, I put it away. If no, I have fun spending it somewhere where I think it will make someone's day to get it.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The criteria that I always use is to ask myself >>honestly<< . . . If I saw that coin at a show, would I pay $0.50 for it?
If yes, I put it away. If no, I have fun spending it somewhere where I think it will make someone's day to get it.

Good thought process. I'm gonna keep the Susan and sell the others as a lot on eBay and see what happens. I only paid 50 cents for the Susan it was in the roll of halves

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! Technically once the "proof" coins are out of the mint presentation holder , they are termed "impaired proofs " , but I think they are collectible.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a gallon ziplock bag about half full of proofs. A couple of months ago I released about as many into the wild. I keep the best ones for my impaired proof collection and update periodically.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thought process. I'm gonna keep the Susan and sell the others as a lot on eBay and see what happens. I only paid 50 cents for the Susan it was in the roll of halves

I have tracked proofs and other NIFC halves on ebay on several different occasions (admittedly, not recently). Sometimes they'd sell for a small profit, and sometimes they did not receive a bid. My opinion was that if I were selling other things on ebay as well, then I'd add them to the pile. But, just to sell a small lot of them alone didn't appear to be enough profit to warrant the trouble and expense of packaging and mailing. Add in the ~13% ebay/PayPal fees and it could even be a losing proposition. With that said, several years ago (when ebay was pretty new) I went through a selling phase. Every now and then something would sell for WAY more than it was worth. You never know. My advice would be to start the bidding at the minimum price you feel makes it "worth it" to you and hope for a bidding war.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a roll (20) impaired proofs for $15 to $20 on offer up. Works all the time... and these are no where as nice as the ones you have. I keep the best for my albums and keep the rest to sell. Over the years I've made about $50 with little effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread