XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if a careless collector “dropped them” in the wild

2308FEBF-0C32-4F21-8D26-39AAEB08D32E.jpeg 07270CB1-B6F8-4874-B332-30EEC7AB5F43.jpeg 2084E116-C76E-4E0E-A049-482B95DF6F9E.jpeg

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen them at a pawn shop out of the cases. Obviously handled. Only once has wife been lucky enough to be paid with an ASE as a dollar coin. Definitely not a westie.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that many of us have found Proof Coins in the wild, but has there ever been a "W" mint mark West Point proof coin ever found out there in the wild? I think that the coin would be an ASE. Comments

"W" dimes :dontknow:

Yup. Found one in a bag (along with the usual handful of silver roos'es) back when my credit union would call me every time the dimes filled. I'll dig it out and photo it. I don't remember the year or condition, just that I found it.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the 2014 half dollar, 50 year anniversary of the 1964 JFK half. I found the 2014 P one, I was hoping the W would show up (or the S or D), but they never did.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Found one in a bag (along with the usual handful of silver roos'es) back when my credit union would call me every time the dimes filled. I'll dig it out and photo it. I don't remember the year or condition, just that I found it.

This is embarrassing because I said I was gonna post a pic, but, more than that, it is frustrating! I found a 'W' dime in a bag 2-3 yrs ago. It was not silver and was not a proof ergo, it had to have been a 1996-W business strike. But, I cannot find it for the life of me. I hate to think that it got away somehow but I've looked everywhere - TWICE.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This is embarrassing because I said I was gonna post a pic, but, more than that, it is frustrating! I found a 'W' dime in a bag 2-3 yrs ago. It was not silver and was not a proof ergo, it had to have been a 1996-W business strike. But, I cannot find it for the life of me. I hate to think that it got away somehow but I've looked everywhere - TWICE.

Late to the thread, but I do remember you finding it. Like you mentioned it is not a proof nor silver. It is a business strike produced and included in mint sets on the 50th anniversary of the Roosevelt dime. It would be very difficult to find in the wild as the only attribute that would make it distinct from the rest of the clad is perhaps a sharper/thicker rim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread