Help! Is this worth a dollar or did I get taken?

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friendly teller showed me two of these after I explained to her that the four halves she had in her tray were silver and that she should keep them. She sold me one for $1 in exchange for the information. She is now a silver stacker. Over time she will do much better on this deal than I will. But I am happy as this is the first I have found crhing...

20171214_082515.jpg

20171214_082534.jpg

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
its a silver eagle there is 1 oz silver in that thing for a dollar that is cheap that thing is worth melt value

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy every single one i could, especially for a $.

I once went to a Chinese bank (in a suburb of Los angeles county) and asked for halves and BIG dollars. The teller had trouble understanding me but when she did she pulled out a sandwich baggy that had about a dozen large coins. She was thrilled that I would buy all so she could get rid of them. When I got back to my car I quickly poured out all the coins I paid $1 each for. There were some IKEs, of course, but also Morgans, Peace and a couple silver rounds like you have.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know if you made the best deal under the circumstances.

You might have been better off buying the silver halves at face value and making that bank part of your regular rounds. As it is, you got 1 coin at face value but fouled a potential steady supply in the process.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why educate tellers?
I agree
You just added to your competition. Sometimes less is more.
What the teller does not know will benefit you .
A4B2615D-1FA3-4A4D-A28A-958B30462768.jpeg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. If a bank teller doesn't know what a silver coin is, it is not anyone's place to educate them. To the contrary, use their lack of knowledge to your advantage.

Regarding the Silver Eagle, it looks like it's been slightly circulated. Looks like more than bag marks. It's funny how many people nowadays don't actually "know" the money they are carrying around in their pockets. I think it has a lot to do with silver coinage not being produced for circulation for nearly 50 years and a general lackadaisical attitude in today's lower waged workers. A small portion may be related to the immigrant population too.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CT is a small state hopefully your educating tellers away from the areas I hunt in. Not trying to break balls but that’s basically shitting where you eat.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be sure to weigh & test it--- too many crooks on the planet :BangHead:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Silver Eagle" sells for $40 at coin stores, in that condition it is worth at least $20 or more

a bank I am negotiating with in order to buy half bags, all the tellers collect silver and check every CWR for it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friendly teller showed me two of these after I explained to her that the four halves she had in her tray were silver and that she should keep them. She sold me one for $1 in exchange for the information. She is now a silver stacker. Over time she will do much better on this deal than I will. But I am happy as this is the first I have found crhing...

View attachment 1526194

View attachment 1526196

I am wondering who was the fool who turn it in for one dollar. Mint sells them for around $30.00 or more.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a problem to educate them but like most people now days they don't have time to stack. So as it is you may have just made a good call or a bad call. Hopefully she will save silver on your behalf and sell them to you at face value.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wondering who was the fool who turn it in for one dollar. Mint sells them for around $30.00 or more.

They were probably stolen by an addict. We had a case recently where a guy stole his grandfather's lifetime coin collection and dumped it into a Coinstar machine. Surveillance video in the store showed him and his buddies busting the coins out of the protective sleeves. Many were rejected and just left at the store. Our local detectives went to the regional Coinstar facility in Mass and were able to recover some of the collection. What a shame!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
You paid a dollar for an ounce of silver - good score. Who knows what the future holds.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a teller that sells me silver at FV as long as it comes out of BANK money, otherwise if her own money then I pay her 6-times face. Shows how very very honest she is, goodies for her for Xmas.
Then again I had a teller two years ago that sold me an ASE for $1, only because he didn't know what it was and that it said ONE DOLLAR on the back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread