Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why mark the coins?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2004
    42 times

Why mark the coins?

I noticed that several halves I acquire have been marked with usually an "X" or a dot or two dots or something similar. Who does this and why? Are they just curious to see if that coin eventually finds its way back to them, or is there a different reason?
    gold boy, Johncoho and Bodkin like this.

us
    Feb 2012
    1459 times
    Coin roll hunting
    You answered your own questions. Chances are probably 1-in-a-billion that they come back in 6-months.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    5640 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    IT'S STOOOPID
    gold boy, Johncoho and LooseChange like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    Minnesota
    12 times
    If you are doing large volume, finding where the coins end up is important. You want to dump coins in a bank that has a different courier service than the one you pickup from. I mark worn 71 and 76 coins. It works for me, but it's not for everyone.

HH,JJ

us
    Mar 2011
    Minnesota
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer D View Post
    You answered your own questions. Chances are probably 1-in-a-billion that they come back in 6-months.
    Incorrect

HH, JJ

us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    739 times
    My girls used to draw letters and other marks on dollar bills to see if they would ever get them back. Small town amusement I guess.

us
    Feb 2012
    1459 times
    Coin roll hunting
    JJ: since you mark coins, have you ever got your own coins back, and if so, what vol & frequency?

us
    Mar 2011
    Minnesota
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer D View Post
    JJ: since you mark coins, have you ever got your own coins back, and if so, what vol & frequency?
    I've had thousands come back. I've had the same coin come back 5 times before. Fastest ever was 3 weeks.

HH, JJ

us
    Oct 2017
    Washington County ME & Treasure Coast FL
    Blue Excal 1000
    125 times
    I guess some of this makes sense. But YIKES!!! People have a lot of time on their hands!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2011
    63 times
    My favorite good coin roll finds are the ones that show up right between two marked coins.
    Last edited by Scott W; Feb 01, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

us
    Mar 2011
    Minnesota
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodkin View Post
    I guess some of this makes sense. But YIKES!!! People have a lot of time on their hands!
    I only mark about 50 a month now. Used to do way more volume.

Sep 2012
    395 times
    Don't mark coins. It is utterly useless - no matter how much volume you do. All that marking dumps accomplishes is rubbing the hobby in the face of the banks and coin processors - that they are being manipulated and taken advantage of for this frivolous enterprise of ours.

Don't forget that, essentially, the only way that half dollar bags ever fill is if you or some other hunter dump into them. Either you are getting stuff that is stirred up by another hunter, or you are stirring stuff up for yourself (or for another hunter). The only input you should use to guide you where to dump is wherever they take your dumps for cash. The only input you should use to guide you where to source is wherever produces keepers at an acceptable rate.
    Scott W likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    Minnesota
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
    Don't mark coins. It is utterly useless - no matter how much volume you do. All that marking dumps accomplishes is rubbing the hobby in the face of the banks and coin processors - that they are being manipulated and taken advantage of for this frivolous enterprise of ours.

Don't forget that, essentially, the only way that half dollar bags ever fill is if you or some other hunter dump into them. Either you are getting stuff that is stirred up by another hunter, or you are stirring stuff up for yourself (or for another hunter). The only input you should use to guide you where to dump is wherever they take your dumps for cash. The only input you should use to guide you where to source is wherever produces keepers at an acceptable rate.
    You believe what you want to believe, and I'll do what I know works.

HH, JJ

Jun 2004
    42 times
    Well, that was interesting. Thanks for all the insight; always wondered.

Sep 2012
    395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDEMARAY View Post
    You believe what you want to believe, and I'll do what I know works.

HH, JJ
    Sorry Mary, but this isn't about you. Why try to hijack OP's post and make it that way?

renegade 7 asked a specific question. You gave your opinion to OP and others (including me) have done the same. That's enough. Getting whiny over it isn't persuasive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links