2,000 wheaties . . . what would you pay?

cosmetal

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, all.

A guy is trying to sell a bag of 2,000 wheaties. Sight unseen, what would be a fair price?

"Here is a bag of over 2,000 old pennies with the wheat ears on the back. These coins date from over 100 years old to 1958. Most of these are in not so good condition many were found with metal detectors as they are dirty or worn. Sell at just about the cost of copper value. Bag is included with the old coins. $60"

Thanks!
James

Upvote 0

yankeesfan4life

May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
$60 is overpriced if you don't know the dates. Copper value for them would be around $40, but the numismatic value of the coins would be less than that because the pennies are "in not so good condition". Negotiate for a better price or don't buy it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$25.00, max.

OP
OP
cosmetal

cosmetal

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$60 is overpriced if you don't know the dates. Copper value for them would be around $40, but the numismatic value of the coins would be less than that because the pennies are "in not so good condition". Negotiate for a better price or don't buy it.

I offered $35 and he said "Sorry but $60 is a fixed price. They are a great deal at 3 cents each." I told him good luck and no thank you.

Just checking with you experienced hunters. I guess I was high in my bid. Now, I'm gald he said no.

Thanks!
James

OP
OP
cosmetal

cosmetal

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd need to know more about the bag?

Huck,

Are you interested in taking a shot at it?

James

00y0y_3aIeremYpl1_1200x900.jpg

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
For wheats in normal circulated condition, I'll pay between .02 to .03 each; I can sell them all day long at .03. For "not so good condition", yeah, I'd go less than .02 each. I think you made him a fair offer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread