First dime bag

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know...with a title like that, you'd think this post would be entirely different :-p Anyway, broke down and tried my hand at dimes. Kept reading on here about silver and looking at rims and whatnot, figure see the hype for myself. Well, on the bright side, I completed the 65-17 P/D's in that bag. Also found a few extra 09's. Took about half the bag before I understood what the rim thing was too:
S20180517_0002.jpg

Also found this one, doesn't look like a clip, but not sure about PMD either:
S20180517_0006.jpg

Then, pulled this one:
S20180517_0004.jpg S20180517_0005.jpg

I gotta be honest though, although I love the look of the Mercury, I just never really got into these. The rim hunting kinda takes the fun outta it I think. Pretty much know theres nothing "major" before going through each handful. Found myself really just wanting to rim hunt after like 2/3rds the bag, but refrained since I didn't want to miss anything. IDK, just not as "fun" as nickels or cents I think. Though, I also started this whole thing with only $4 in pennies and have since graduated to bags/nickels/dimes, annnnnnd said I "just wanted to find one buffalo nickel" too, so we'll see how that all goes.

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds it looks like a clip planchet and a nice merc too

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first dime bag was not silver, more of a green color.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just about to confirm to the OP what he has based on the Blakesley Effect. I would like to see the reverse.

Yeah, should've thought to take a pic of that too. Looked at it, definitely leaning towards PMD now with the look of the reverse, though could be some of the "Blakesley Effect" going on too...no idea, hope this can help! Thanks for the input too!

S20180518_0003.jpg S20180518_0004.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Darrell would be proud, or maybe not.

When I was hitting dimes I had no time for errors unless they were blatant, it was edge searching for me all the way, especially since i might be sitting down with several thousand dollars worth each time. I was only interested in stacking, and did find over one thousand silver dimes over time.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Yeah, should've thought to take a pic of that too. Looked at it, definitely leaning towards PMD now with the look of the reverse, though could be some of the "Blakesley Effect" going on too...no idea, hope this can help! Thanks for the input too!

View attachment 1591837 View attachment 1591838

It is legitimate. I don't know how it ended up circulating for so long to suffer the other wear/tear/damage without being recognized, but the clip is genuine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread