the sage

May 18, 2018
Richmond, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I started penny roll hunting a few weeks ago. It's been fun and I'm slowly learning the ropes. Today the teller gave me a box of customer rolled coins and said the customer who brought them had mentioned they came from a found-in-the-back-of-the-closet . . "old Federal reserve bag of uncirculated"

Yep . . They are mostly bright, shiny, no scratches, 1973 pennies. They are real thick and the smooth edges show no marks at all. I don't know grading ,but these are looking "brand new" to me. I think it's the "red" kind. I have like 1000 of these.

Did I hit a jackpot?

What's my next step?

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i would look for errors and keep the highly condition ones but that is just me

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There were over 3 billion minted. If you feel that you can't help yourself, than save a roll or 2. Wait 20 years and you can sell the rolls for $3/each (if you are lucky). I would sell the story to a buyer on eBay and be thankful for any profit over the face value that you have invested.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the TN and CRH. I think we all started with cents which are fun to check, and very collectable.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard The Sage! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...

OP
OP
T

the sage

May 18, 2018
Richmond, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So . . no Jackpot ? Sad trombone sounds . ..

Thanks for the welcome. I'm enjoying the forum and my new hobby.

In Richmond, VA

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the hobby man! New myself, 2 months in. It is fun finding those AU/BU coins, though yeah, don't seem to be worth any more.. Actually just culled my collection, I had been saving all the nice shiny 59's-70's, but sadly they're not really "worth" much more than any other one. Still neat to see the difference between ones like that and a dirty 2017 you find. Definitely want to look through them though for any irregularities though. Be nice to have the others to compare against, make it easier for you. Look for differences in the dates, the edges, the lettering. You may find some "missing" letters that are grease strikes, or ones with extra bits around the rims which could be "cuds", or even ones missing part of the rims which are "clips". Ultimately though man, if you like the coin, keep it. That's one of the great things of this hobby, theres not really any "right" way to do it. Keep whatever you want, its your money and time! Best of luck hunting!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Welcome - probably not a jackpot there, it would depend on if they were P,D or S coins. If they were from Denver then the person who dumped them may have lost out on a few bucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-MINT-S...292560?hash=item2aa1fc4b50:g:LZYAAOSwM91aZP3M

If they are from Philly then like everyone said look for errors and save a roll or two of the best for the future. You might make a few bucks on ebay but would take some work.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread