My 1st GREAT BOX, NOW I know!!!!

sugarcreek

Mar 28, 2016
S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have LIMITED experience with this. One Franklin and (2) 40% coins on my first 6 boxes. That was 2 years ago...

Picked up 4 boxes from one bank this week, and 2 boxes from another. The 4 boxes were a big ZIP. The other 2?

One was ZIP. However that other one.... (4)1964, (1)1966, (3)1967, (4)1968, (4)1969 (16) Silvers!!!!

Best Box Ever.jpg

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. Sad for us old timers what constitutes as a "Great Box" nowadays. Not a knock on you as it really is a sweet cull, but for us old timers, we have witnessed a steady decline.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find... the most I have found in a box was 15 keepers and for me that was my "Great Box"

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder why the steady decline? To many people looking now?

Wouldn't you think that over a long period of time, with all of us doing the same thing, that eventually AG will begin to dry up, be it dimes quarters or halves. Silver coins are a limited commodity, sooner or later it will be very very hard to find, unless a collection dump recycles the hobby.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The same thing happened back in the early 80’s, after the Hunt brothers in an attempt to corner the silver market, drove the price artificially high. Not everyone was selling, much silver was being hoarded. I didn’t find much silver back when I was crh’ing back in 1979. After the Hunts were busted, the price dropped dramatically and lots of silver was dumped or spent. 2007 or so when I got back in, I knew a few bank managers that told me some of the boxes being ordered were half full of silver. (Mine never were ha ha).

I believe there are stacks and stacks being hoarded today, and as we grow older and the price continues to stagnate, collections will continue to be dumped.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder why the steady decline? To many people looking now?
That’s the part I don’t get. Let’s use $40/oz. silver back in 1979. That silver value today would be about $120, considering inflation. With today’s price of $16.xx, about 85% less purchasing power than back in ‘79, why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)?

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
"why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)? why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)?"

It is a fun hobby. We have never had the thought of "Instant Riches" the slow plodding along collecting silver along the way.

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in the most recent year data is available, 2008. That means 6,775 per day.

That is a lot of possible collection dumps per day. If you have someones entire estate to manage and you find a can of old coins. It would seem like a pretty easy solution to take the coins to the bank and get cash.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

As long as coins are the same size and color coin roll hunting will always be a fun hobby.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
"why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)? why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)?"

It is a fun hobby. We have never had the thought of "Instant Riches" the slow plodding along collecting silver along the way.

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in the most recent year data is available, 2008. That means 6,775 per day.

That is a lot of possible collection dumps per day. If you have someones entire estate to manage and you find a can of old coins. It would seem like a pretty easy solution to take the coins to the bank and get cash.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

As long as coins are the same size and color coin roll hunting will always be a fun hobby.
It is a fun hobby, I’ve also enjoyed it for over 40 years - but I would have to say many jumped on the CRH bandwagon when silver prices began to rise...and many over the years on this forum have reportedly sold their stacks to profit...why is CRH’ing silver so popular now, but so lackluster between the years of 1982-2007?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
It is a fun hobby, I’ve also enjoyed it for over 40 years - but I would have to say many jumped on the CRH bandwagon when silver prices began to rise...and many over the years on this forum have reportedly sold their stacks to profit...why is CRH’ing silver so popular now, but so lackluster between the years of 1982-2007?

I'd say lackluster from 82-07 due to the lack of the Internet, and in more recent years social media. I started CRH'ing in 2011 after reading about hoarding silver on survivalists forums (don't ask). Prior to the mid-1990's, if you wanted to learn about CRH you had to go to a library of a coin club - basically make a concerted effort now people find out about it browsing casually online from their couch.

The funny thing is that I found more silver when prices were high than I find now!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say lackluster from 82-07 due to the lack of the Internet, and in more recent years social media. I started CRH'ing in 2011 after reading about hoarding silver on survivalists forums (don't ask). Prior to the mid-1990's, if you wanted to learn about CRH you had to go to a library of a coin club - basically make a concerted effort now people find out about it browsing casually online from their couch.

The funny thing is that I found more silver when prices were high than I find now!
I still don’t get it. Depressed silver prices between 82-07, sure a few hobbyists maybe roll hunting, but not like I saw around 2010 and on. There were a lot of hunters in 79-80, along with myself. High unemployment, no widespread DB and welfare like there is now, interest rates approaching 20%, would drive a lot of folks to search out silver and ‘easy money’. I was 17 when I started hunting in the 70’s, in reality, what’s there to learn about Crh, just that dimes quarters and halves were 90% silver before 1965, and one could by rolls of coin at the bank. Sure, no internet back then, just word of mouth (and full page “WE BUY SILVER” ads in all the newspapers!).

Last edited:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i got back into the hobby late in 2006 nearly every box had silver. Boxes of 20-30 silver were not uncommon at all. Somewhere around 2010, i noticed a dramatic drop in the average number of silver per box and skunk boxes became much more common. Also started seeing a dramatic increase in marked coins. I believe this is around the same time that posting finds on youtube became popular. There are simply a lot more people now who enjoy the thrill of the hunt due to Utube and other social media then there were 10 years ago.
To the OP, congrats on that box. Those are the boxes that keep you going through the slumps.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
People have to keep in mind that in the 80's and 90's, you didn't keep 40%'ers. There was no market for them. We all knew there was silver in them. But if you kept every 40%'er, you would tie up your bankroll with keepers that you couldn't sell.

Also to reinforce MM's testimony above, just a decade ago or there about, it was a normal cull if I pulled $30 FV each week. Some weeks, I would pull $50 FV. And a bad week would be $10 FV in keepers. I was only searching 6K/wk.

Again, I didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread with a state of affairs regarding the hobby. Enjoy the finds.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s the part I don’t get. Let’s use $40/oz. silver back in 1979. That silver value today would be about $120, considering inflation. With today’s price of $16.xx, about 85% less purchasing power than back in ‘79, why all the interest in CRH (and for some, the thought of instant riches)?

I think there's a fairly simple answer to this question...information. I would guess a majority of CRHing posters found out about CRHing from the web. For example, some people joined TN because they have a detector. Looking through TN, they saw the CRHing forum. My story...I was interested in precious metals. Looking on the web for efficient ways to buy silver and I eventually found people talking about CRHing. Next thing I know, I'm ordering 12 boxes of half dollars a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread