Todays Teller Story..........

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250. Are there others?
My main CU has a young teller whos husband searches coins in the bags from the machine. Not so much for the silver since he knows they aren't there but for dates and odd ones and such. Today she told me that some old lady came in one day and wanted to get cash for this bag of halves she had been holding onto. The teller dumped them into the machine and damn near fainted. BUT SHE DIDN'T SAY A WORD!!! Ran them through and gave the dear old woman her money. When the bag in the machine got full (probably from my dumps) she grabbed it and bought it for her hubby. Guess what? BENS, LADIES AND MORGANS!!!!!!!!!!!! The other side of this is she says that the bag was $14 short some how. But the silver made up for it. Yea I guess.

So the thing is..........There are some tellers out there that know all about this stuff be them young or old. They know what to look for (have been told myself by a number of them) and they are on the look out. So don't be surprised when you go to a bank asking for halves (or anything else) and this young sweet innocent teller asks........."What are you doing? Silver hunting???".........

Attachments

• BT.JPG
    BT.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to the tellers at my favorite bank this week and apparently someone else also buys bags of pennies from them. Apparently they usually come the day after me so the bank is usually out.. ;D lol The tellers got a chuckle out of it.

As I was talking I also mentioned that if they saw someone come in with a whole bunch of old coins that they were going to cash in just cause they needed the money I would buy them for over face value. They said it doesn't happen often, but if they see it they will try to contact me. You never know. :)

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
If I was a teller I would do the same. Heck, I'd even offer to carry them from the car for her. Greedy, HECK YA............

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Do you think more (tellers) are wise to the silver or clueless??? I would say 65% clueless.

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250. Are there others?
tw656 said:
Do you think more (tellers) are wise to the silver or clueless??? I would say 65% clueless.
I had one teller tell me that he looks for coins that are 1970 or less. It didn't sound like he knew exactly what he was looking for, just that they were important.

mysterio

Apr 12, 2006
I think it's one thing to "score" if you get lucky (as I sometimes do CRH) but for the teller to actually see the "old lady" come in, know the coins are 8x face, and let her dump it in, is criminal IMO. She should have offered her some unrequested advice and not been a predatory person. I know some may disagree but I do think there are some ethics to this hobby which I love so much.

No need to flame- this is strictly my own take on the situation....

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I think its more like 4 times face. If I when to the bank and deposited them into my account, I would get 1xface.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tw656 said:
I think its more like 4 times face. If I when to the bank and deposited them into my account, I would get 1xface.
Actually today it is about 8.27X face.

Most likely it was her late husbands collection. He should have told her their value.

My wife doesn't know a thing about silver coins and could care less. But she does know not to sell them to a bank. So when I go to that big vault in the sky she knows to go to a coin dealer and that is where she will get taken to the cleaners. ;D ;D ;D >:(

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have a teller who looks out for me. I am glad he does. Found some neat stuff thanks to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread