Great day...

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
So, after pulling a Buffalo, War nickel, and 5 Yen out of my first bag of nickels, I lucked out further and kept the wheat harvest going with another 80 and topped that off with my 4th proof cent. Well, I had an hour left before my bank closed at that point, and they exchange coins tomorrow, so figured why not, and my a 2nd trip in. Came back with 2 bags of nickels, since they had the pennies ready to go already. Well, VERY glad I did. First few handfuls and this:
S20180716_0030.jpg S20180716_0031.jpg S20180716_0032.jpg S20180716_0033.jpg S20180716_0034.jpg

Looks like "189-"? Not sure, but still... Was NOT expecting this at all. Can't wait to see what the rest of the bag has! Happy Hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds get some nic-a-date it will work i've seen a video and it worked

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Thing with nic-a-date is that if the coin is common, it will lower the value, if it's rare it will increase the value. so it usually lowers the value of the coin. can be pretty fun to do though, something about the excitement!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing with nic-a-date is that if the coin is common, it will lower the value, if it's rare it will increase the value. so it usually lowers the value of the coin.
I've never been concerned by this. Anything that you need Nic-a-Date for has little to no value to begin with, so how much harm could it do?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In theory, the right imaging equipment (x-ray crystallography or, alternatively, electron scattering) could reveal the date as an image - without affecting the coin.

Basically, the minting process realigns the grain of the metal along the outline of the date digits. That realignment of metal grain can show up as a diffraction gradient when an x-ray or electron beam crosses (but with no affect to the coin's surface). Or, the realignment of metal grain resists acid etching (which is what nic-a-date is) at its own distinct rate (pitting and darkening of the coin in the area of etch).

Of course, nic-a-date is cheaper, easier to use, and more readily available than an imaging system.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm honestly just happy to have found the coin, not overly concerned about the date. If I pull more no-dates, may be something to consider, but I can make out the 18--, good enough for me right now! Do have to ask though, does nic-a-date damage the coin at all? I was hesitant to even dab it with a damp cloth to see if I could make out anything more, let alone do something like that. Thanks for the advice though, never even knew they had such a product!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it eats away at the metal around date making it visible

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the damage and wear already present, anything Nic-a-Date would add would be negligible IMO. But yes, it leaves a permanent faded area the size of the drop of liquid you apply. Would this count as your oldest find of all time (so far?). That's reason enough for me to invest in some Nic-a-Date.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering the damage and wear already present, anything Nic-a-Date would add would be negligible IMO. But yes, it leaves a permanent faded area the size of the drop of liquid you apply. Would this count as your oldest find of all time (so far?). That's reason enough for me to invest in some Nic-a-Date.

Eh, I'm good. My oldest so far is an 1888 Indian Head, so this really only has like a 20% chance of beating that, so not really concerned. Thanks though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread