Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 70's, Mom worked as accountant at a business that leased coin op machines to arcades, taverns, et al.
Every weekend Mom and I would meet there to go through the coin bags for silver while she counted for bank deposits.

We did VERY well as it seemed every little monster in that era raided coin collections to stick in the slot of the games.

When the Hunt Brothers jacked silver up, sold it all and redid her Living room.

I don't know if any machines still take coins at arcades, but perhaps you could check with the amusement lease companys if any are still on coins. Or arcades that feture retro machines.

HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's about how I started, but my start was back in the 60's when my dad owned a tavern & package liquor store. Started the coin collection then, but only had wished we saved ALL the silver that came through then. Oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda, but we threw A LOT BACK into circulation.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that day silver wasn't worth anything near what it is today.
Today 10$ silver would be depressing.
If it was at that level back then you could afford to keep all silver, at least temporarily.
My crusty lcs is far less enthusiastic about the 40% JFK's than I am, likely because of all of them he threw back over the years.

I had a grandad who hunted back in the 50's. I would surely like to see what he threw back.

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work for a company that serviced the claw machines you see in Walmart and other stores and in 8 years I found about $150 FV in silver quarters. I would also hit every coinstar I came across (atleast 6 per day) and made out very well with clad and silver. Came across a lady that kept feeding a handful of dimes into the coinstar only to be sent out to the reject shoot, I approached her and asked why they weren't going thru (knowing they were probably silver and soon enough hearing), I said maybe they are old? I offered $5 so she starts counting them out and she gets to about $4 and stops counting and says deal! Ended up with $5.40 FV all silver dimes

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In that day silver wasn't worth anything near what it is today.
Today 10$ silver would be depressing.
If it was at that level back then you could afford to keep all silver, at least temporarily.
My crusty lcs is far less enthusiastic about the 40% JFK's than I am, likely because of all of them he threw back over the years.

I had a grandad who hunted back in the 50's. I would surely like to see what he threw back.
Today, $14 silver is depressing, especially for those that bought at $35.

Adjusted for inflation, the Hunt’s 1980 $50 silver would be worth $150 today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread