Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
2nd box another skunk.

3rd box is a non-Loomis box first one I have had in a long time, I went to a different bank for boxes 3 and 4, they gave me a non-Loomis and a Loomis, When I call on Monday I will order 2-4 boxes and ask if they can ask for courier for any of the smaller square non-Loomis boxes OR WHETHER I should just take what they get me...
Probably should just take what I can get this time and then if they are both the yellow Loomis boxes I will ask for the following week...

ANYHOW - hit it pretty good in the non-Loomis box

2018 P & D for my Dansco album
12 40%
1 1965
1 1966
5 1967
3 1968D
2 1969D

2 90%

2 1964

pEiCdftl.jpg

unkW7lzh.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I just dumped some coins that I put x amount from the rolls I opened, the first can should have counted $265.00 and the second $165.00, two different banks. The first gave me $264.00 and the second 166.50 I think the rolls from the courier, BWR, were off. I have found in some boxes rolls with 21 halves and also in the same box 18 or 19 halves, usually evens out.

For the next can I will count every roll. And the next dime bag the same, make sure of the count before cashing then check the machine.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Good, cuz somewhere down the line I might send you some dateless SLQ quarters to try making earrings for my wife., what about cufflinks

I am starting to research jewelry making as my wife doesn't wear any, except shinny broaches. I am practicing cutting out the entire design, i.e. leaving only the Mercury head and cutting out the fields leaving the head and rim etc.

I think the main thing is how to attach it to the cuff link or ear stud. In a quick google search I find a lot of women (and men) wear these loopy things that go through the pierced ear and then have a ring that attaches to the earring object, that is easy.

Also cuff links I think it would be the same a how I made broaches for the wife, simply attach (epoxy ??) the object (coin) to the link

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
have $200 left on my final box for the week and just found a 1969 40%, will do the final $200 tonight while watching TV

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Dozer here are some of the coins I am going to practice cutting up. The half and Buffalos are for scale, the Buffs will get cut up but not the 1969

t1oU7Rch.jpg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: if you cut on the buff nic., what side would be the visible facing jewelry side, the Indian profile or the buffalo standing tall? Will be some very small fine cuttings, keep me posted on your progress.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that I have just as many dateless SLQ's as dateless Buffaloes. When do you plan on cutting up an ASE, yeah right.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Working my 3rd box of halves, first two were skunks. I am antsy to see if there is any silver. Normally I opened each roll with a wirecutter taking the rolls off and then unrolling it, checking for silver then as I check each coin I look for missing FG's double dies and other errors.
But for the first time I cracked each roll and looked for obvious silver and then went to the next roll... I will go through them carefully tonight.

Anyone I found 1 40% 1968D so not a skunk but not great.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dumped some coins that I put x amount from the rolls I opened, the first can should have counted $265.00 and the second $165.00, two different banks. The first gave me $264.00 and the second 166.50 I think the rolls from the courier, BWR, were off. I have found in some boxes rolls with 21 halves and also in the same box 18 or 19 halves, usually evens out.

For the next can I will count every roll. And the next dime bag the same, make sure of the count before cashing then check the machine.

I stack the dump coins on my desk in stacks of 20. When I have the amount stacked that I want - usually $400, I sweep them into a plastic container. When I dump at the bank, I know exactly how many coins I have. There are 3 different models of coin machines at my dump banks. Some can receive coins dumped quickly while others require feeding so slowly that I dump from my jar into my hand and slowly onto the belt. The count has nearly always been right on the money - but occasionally I'll get a penny or dime left over in the machine from the previous dump. Even though I'm only dumping halves, I also get occasional lower denominations in the reject bin from previous dumps.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad I finished the boxes this morning I came down with the flu or something about noon. feeling like crap, BUT I ordered 4 boxes - 2 from one bank and 2 from my usual, they both thanked me for ordering. Also my new pickup bank had already placed the order and are going to redo it to include my order
More cookies heading to them!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I finished the boxes this morning I came down with the flu or something about noon. feeling like crap, BUT I ordered 4 boxes - 2 from one bank and 2 from my usual, they both thanked me for ordering. Also my new pickup bank had already placed the order and are going to redo it to include my order
More cookies heading to them!

Hope you feel better soon, Ben! I get my flu shot "just in case" and it comes with a 10% off coupon for groceries at my Safeway. On the way out, I sometimes find silver in the coinstar.

Some silver in those new boxes may be just the remedy you need! Did you see the pics of my 99 silver coin haul last week? ("pre-football score" thread) Wishing you the same!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Was gone in 24 hours so I don't think it was the flu, probably just dehydrated.

4 boxes of halves coming tomorrow

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're feeling better. Hope your boxes are better than my 2 tonight. Went from 99 silver halves on saturday to 0 tonight. Such a strange, unpredictable hobby !

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like it is feast or famine, skunk after skunk then finally 1 40% and then more skunks, and hopefully sometime a dump

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Cracked the first two boxes (still waiting on the other two) looks like two skunks, no obvious silver. Now will go through them for my Coin Collection, proofs, and errors.

ZDXrKI3l.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Tired of searching other peoples dumps. One of the halves was written on in red sharpie "Silver is gone" and over half the coins are marked with at least 3 different marks so different hunters

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tired of searching other peoples dumps. One of the halves was written on in red sharpie "Silver is gone" and over half the coins are marked with at least 3 different marks so different hunters

Yup. My wife had a box last week in which 78% were marked. Some entire rolls were marked. Expecting the worst, the next two boxes produced 99 silver halves. Then 4 skunk boxes in a row. Totally unpredictable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread