Copper cents - to hoard or not to hoard?

DanFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2019
Buckeye State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked this question in another thread but not getting any answers and I kind of feel it is a thread topic on it's own...

I CRH mainly cents and nickels.
Regarding cents, is it really worth it to keep/hoard 1982 and earlier coppers right now?
I have not been, because of two reasons:
a) I don't like having that many sitting around that are really not worth much ( I seem to find quite a lot, some boxes are 40% or higher)
and b) I am not sure where, or if there ever will be any way to actually get more than FV for them....
Obviously I am not including any BU or oddities which i always keep, just talking about average circulated stuff, a lot of which is dirty/damaged...
I also tend to set aside some good condition 60's, but the mintages are so high...
What do other CRHers do?:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired a large lot of old pennies from my mom, most are 82 an older, iv bin separating the coppers from the zinkens....
I read that the value in copper is worth 2 cents per penny not sure how old that article was though....
I am also curios what others recommend....

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like copper is about 2.70 per pound. Three rolls of pennys is a pound or 1.50. If you could legally melt them I think you would probably lose money. I hoarded them for a while then took them to the bank.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Depends on if you can afford to hoard, how much extra space you have, and how much trouble you are willing to take to sell them. Many people are selling them on eBay, Craigslist, etc except the returns are low.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take is they are too much work for an uncertain payday. I save the wheat cents, errors, oddities and that's about it. I have saved some copper pennies when I got a few whole rolls but stopped looking at cents.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t bother with the copper coin, only the free copper material.
I’ve been scrapping since I was 12, there’s a lot of free copper out there for the taking (with permission), if you keep your eyes peeled.
I usually accumulate 100 lbs or so every couple years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread