Thinking of making a comeback

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Hello to all and especially the old timers on the forum.

I quit crh'ing back when the silver price was north of $40 an ounce...the competition and dumping 8k in halves a week became too big a PITA. IF YOU look at my old posts...you will see it was the glory days in Raleigh NC back in the 2008 period. (My best one day find was over 700 silver halves)

Anyhow...just curious what the per box find rate is for you these days and if PNC bank bank will stil generally order and /and or accept large quantities of coins for free?

Good luck to you all and happy hunting!

Thanks for any information.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things are skunkier than ever. Anymore my find rate is 1 half per 3 boxes (it was once 2-3 per box) and I'm going to quit since it just isn't worth it. PNC has no problem ordering 15 boxes for me at a time. Dumping, though, has become a real PITA since they removed their coin machines.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Things were stinky for me and halves as far back as 2011, so I dove into dimes and didn’t do too bad until I became fed up with banks and their fees, and quit in 2014. I’m hitting some Coinstar now, two weeks ago I had a score of over 30 silver quarters including foreign silvers and a Franklin half.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Way back in that same time frame finding silver was easy for me too, but now a days many boxes that are skunks in a row is the norm. I still order 2 boxes every week and it has been months since finding any real quanity, if I find 1 40% out of every 4 boxes i think I'm doing well.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe what has to happen is that a generation of collectors must pass on before the finds become numerous again. I was part of the great silver melt as a teen back in 1979/80, and then 30 years of stagnant silver prices that followed. I believe millions of leftover coins were dumped following the crash of the manipulated pricing back in ‘80. Then came economic fear in 2008 driving silver prices up once again. As time goes on and collectors age, and metal prices stagnate, collections pass on, and over time get dumped.

OP
OP
Captaindoodle

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys...I remember you fistful from the old days

I am pretty sure the economics make buying cheaper for me (all in time wise)...but I miss finding and playing with my precious like these...I hafta go look at them in my SDB to reminisce occasionally...lol

Attachments

• small proof - Copy.jpg
    small proof - Copy.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 102

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting 5 boxes of halves a week from two different branches and on a very discouraging skunk run. The last three weeks - 15 boxes, have been all unc 94P. I'm doing better picking the occasional silver dime or quarter from a coinstar on my way out of the local safeway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions