Don't buy coin wrappers!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure most of you who CRH already know this tip, but if you don't.
You don't have to buy coin wrappers.
Your local banks will give you wrappers for FREE!
Just ask.
20190301_084710.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any branch I bank with will give me wrappers. Cents in particular because they don't have to order as many!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Arkie, sorry I don't get it I guess. It is a bank and banks handle money. That's what they do. It's part of their business. Not just to take it in but to give it out. To each his own I guess. I don't feel bad at all using the services at my bank. But then again I have three accounts at one of my banks and they USE my money for little payment back to me. They should feel bad for doing this but they don't and I ain't mad at them for it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkie, sorry I don't get it I guess. It is a bank and banks handle money. That's what they do. It's part of their business. Not just to take it in but to give it out. To each his own I guess. I don't feel bad at all using the services at my bank. But then again I have three accounts at one of my banks and they USE my money for little payment back to me. They should feel bad for doing this but they don't and I ain't mad at them for it.

Banks are not coin stores put there to service the public, contrary to popular belief. They are for-profit businesses. I have once been told by a bank that I could no longer bring in any coins, as have MANY other CRHers over the ~10 years that I have been posting on this forum. I've had banks flat out refuse to sell me coins as well. One branch of a certain bank (at which I had an account), the head teller would not sell me even a single roll of cents stating, "those were for customers."

Banks do NOT have to sell you coins or buy your rolls. Or, they can absolutely charge you a fee for either or both. All I was trying to say is that when I found a bank that was willing to do either for me, I was very appreciative and personally would not ask for "extras" on top of services they were already providing me for free, even though it was not free to them.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your luck runs out much quicker when you push it.
Could be a generational thing, but there's not many easier concepts than that one.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Guess I would switch to a service friendly bank but then again up here we don't have that problem. The banks in our area bend over backwards to be customer friendly. Actually have never heard of the issues that you are having with your bank.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I would switch to a service friendly bank but then again up here we don't have that problem. The banks in our area bend over backwards to be customer friendly. Actually have never heard of the issues that you are having with your bank.

My credit unions actually advertise their coin machines as a service on their websites. The decisions to offer coin machines or ordering boxes is made by the bank or credit union's Board of Directors after discussion at Board meetings. It would be easy for a credit union's Board to see how much the coin machine adds to deposits and make a business decision to keep them or do away with them based on the data and input from bank officers. I am not on a Bank Board, but have been on Boards of other organizations and know how policies are set. There is great competition among banks and it is a time of many mergers. Banks compete for customers. This is why they offer bonuses to new customers and other benefits. Banks have several account types - each with specific benefits for particular groups. This is done to increase and keep business. If the bank offers something to students or senior citizens or those with high deposits, then the account holder is entitled to that benefit that has already been determined by the Board. I have been doing business with my pickup bank for over 30 years. I've had large home equity loans and lines with them to buy other properties or consolidate mortgages. I believe the relationship has been mutually beneficial. My pickup bank is offering $500 cash bonuses for new accounts. I don't consider that to be unfair just because I am not using it. I see no need to apologize for using a coin machine or having a standing order for boxes and I don't abuse it. I don't presume, like some do here, to know more about the calculus of the bank's business decisions than their Boards.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At a time of such intense competition, they are wise to be customer friendly. I don't ask for wrappers, but if I needed them and they were offered to me, I would take them. I also occasionally take one candy from the candy jar at the bank, maybe one a month. Hope that's ok with some of the posters.

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Banks in my area are offering $500.00 for new accounts all the time. I know of two people that deposit the minimum amount to gain that $500.00 and then close the account after the mandatory deposit time. I see nothing wrong with that as the bank sets the guidelines. $500.00, that equals a lot of coin wrappers. I could do that but just don't take the time out of my day. I think if those that are having trouble getting coin wrappers would close your account (assuming you have one) and tell them the reason your bank would see things differently.

This is turning into beating a dead horse.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no idea that banks would be so rude.
How can they refuse to take your currency?
Like I said, I don't use banks for CRH. All of my rolls come from gas stations and 7/11 and small businesses.
I ask for their hand rolled coins. They love getting rid of the heavy coins.
In the course of my day, I drive past at least ten different banks. Stop in and ask. I've not been told no for wrappers.
Then again, I don't buy boxes and the coins left over, the misses and I take a trip with every year.
To each their own I guess.
dead-horse.gif

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have been doing that for 40 years

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember even as a kid but your right most people dont know this good point Tommy

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying wrappers is for people who don't understand the industry. Re-crimp the bank wrappers and then the bank sends them directly back to the distributer. If you ever get a 100% skunk box, there's a chance it's one of mine.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks are not coin stores put there to service the public, contrary to popular belief. They are for-profit businesses. I have once been told by a bank that I could no longer bring in any coins, as have MANY other CRHers over the ~10 years that I have been posting on this forum. I've had banks flat out refuse to sell me coins as well. One branch of a certain bank (at which I had an account), the head teller would not sell me even a single roll of cents stating, "those were for customers."

Banks do NOT have to sell you coins or buy your rolls. Or, they can absolutely charge you a fee for either or both. All I was trying to say is that when I found a bank that was willing to do either for me, I was very appreciative and personally would not ask for "extras" on top of services they were already providing me for free, even though it was not free to them.

Your right throughout the thread. When I first started CRH you could walk into almost any bank and ask for boxes, they had no problem taking them back...As time went on and more people doing it that changed. It's not the Banks job to put up with our hobby. On the flip side. when I was going through a lot of boxes I was straight forward with the CU in what I was doing and they had no problem giving me the paper rollers. we also ran a small coin shop for a short time and banked with them. So they knew they were supplying the wrappers for our coin business and our hobby of searching rolls. I think it all depends on situation. Open and honest communication with them goes a long way too. I wouldn't feel bad asking at a place where I'm a member and using all the services like loans, insurance,business account,checking, savings etc.. Nothing wrong with it. But to expect it or demand it is a whole different thing.

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Up here in the north banks appreciate our business and are very customer oriented. What some posters don't realized as they make a lot of money on your money with very little return to you. Without out your business the bank would fold that is of course you have accounts in banks that you are dealing with. If you don't have accounts and are just trying to use the business then I can see them telling you to get lost. And then is looks as though some have abused the system to the point that you are not welcome and I can understand the banks stance also.

It doesn't hurt to be nice when you go into your bank.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how much money they make off your money and give you pennies (no pun intended) in return. My bank is glad to hand me coin wrappers.
You are so right. I just got a letter from one of my banks. They just paid me 25 cents in interest. And that account has a lot of $

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure most of you who CRH already know this tip, but if you don't.
You don't have to buy coin wrappers.
Your local banks will give you wrappers for FREE!
Just ask.
View attachment 1685882

Yep and some Health Departments hand out condoms for free! They are better for protection of your' coins and hey, they even lubricate them.:laughing7: Just make sure you get the appropriate sizes for the coins you need to roll and protect.:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread