Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Marking rolls of coins to alert potential holders the rolls are silver free?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    921 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by port ewen ace View Post
    and that s why I have 500 40's--- just sold a roll for $72
    Wild! I buy them from my coin dealer for $2 each and he sells them for $3 to regular people
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 47 40% 14 90%, Dimes: 6, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 67/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 25, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 2, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 0, CWR 0

MILES Driven 500

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    921 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomotion View Post
    Anyone seen this before? I got it at a bank, but filled with cwr halves, not sure if it was placed there by the coin service company or by the hunter....
    I have gotten that before and found silver in them. It is put on by the courier/sorting company. They try to get you to stop forcing them to work by doing their job to deliver them

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 25, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 2, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 0, CWR 0

MILES Driven 500

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6472 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Why would you not sell all 500 at this price
    I have 500 I would let you have at 60$ per roll, which would be profitable for you!!!
    I sell solid rolls of all a single year from '66 to '69. no '70's found, only have 6 '65's after selling 1 roll of those for $72. the roll of '64's needs a home but they aint's gonna gets it furr no stinkin' "melt" or "scrap" price. miss the days when I could sell a Forty % for $5 --- that would fetch $100 per roll--- minus the 9% fee

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1447 times
    Geez, you are all too honest. I would mark the rolls. "silver, '64 and earlier, etc." If it slows down or discourages another hunter, then mission accomplished.

us
    Dec 2009
    South East, MI
    my eyes
    393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie D View Post
    My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines
    TIA for any input.
    Looks like you live near Detroit. TCF Bank has coin counting machines. This is the only bank I have joined because of Coin Roll Hunting. Also some credit unions have coin counting machines.

Keep on Searching
    Dad and Tanner

us
    Oct 2013
    Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
    1134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Was the message correct?

I get the same square boxes, but my skunks, 19 in a row now, are not advertised.
    The message was correct, but like I mentioned the box contained customer wrapped rolls, not mint wrapped. There was about $380 if I remember correctly. In my area I've never seen square boxes like this, at it for about 6 years now.
    CRH 2019 silver to date 29.8914 oz

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    921 times
    First if they are CWR then unless they opened each one and searched it how do they know there are no silver? And that is time consuming for a business to do that.

I get these boxes every so often, around here they come from Guarda and Brinks, Loomis has the rectangular boxes with yellow printing

MILES Driven 500

us
    USMC 0331 Forever

Nov 2018
    The Motor City
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon and tanner View Post
    Looks like you live near Detroit. TCF Bank has coin counting machines. This is the only bank I have joined because of Coin Roll Hunting. Also some credit unions have coin counting machines.

Keep on Searching
    Dad and Tanner
    Thanks for the info, I live a block away from a TCF bank.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in opening a new bank account for a one time event so I'm stuck going the hand rolled route. On the good side, so far I've discovered a silver nickel, dime and quarter during the sort phase.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Taxechusetts (It sucks)
    The only two certainties in life are death and taxes. They tax you just for dying where I live.
    61 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    Is there any accepted practice for identifying rolls of coins you've rolled yourself as already being worked over for silvers? Some discreet marking CRH hunters would recognize at a glance?

I'm busy working to liquidate my 5 gallon water bottle coin jar, and will probably have $1500 in quarters alone when all is said and done. My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines and will no longer accept bags of coins from a non-business account, so I'm forced to hand roll my stash. At least they gave me some free coin wrappers.

The forthcoming nickel/dime/quarter rolls may contain some rare modern coins, but no silver, that's for sure.

TIA for any input.
    Why are you letting the next hunter take your rare modern coins?

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2496 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I’m not too fond of NIFC halves, scuffed IH’s, dateless buffalos, 1938 and newer Jefferson nickels, etc, and lately even wheaties. So, I dump them by the hundreds hoping to spur new collectors. That saying - one man’s trash...
    Sorry, Iím on a fixed income.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    921 times
    Thanks for the info, I live a block away from a TCF bank.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in opening a new bank account for a one time event so I'm stuck going the hand rolled route. On the good side, so far I've discovered a silver nickel, dime and quarter during the sort phase.
    I opened 6 accounts at 6 different banks, each only required $10 to have no fee checking

MILES Driven 500

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2496 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    I opened 6 accounts at 6 different banks, each only required $10 to have no fee checking
    Ben, how easy is it to juggle six different checking accounts and keep them active?
    Sorry, Iím on a fixed income.

us
    USMC 0331 Forever

Nov 2018
    The Motor City
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Death&Taxes View Post
    Why are you letting the next hunter take your rare modern coins?
    Need the money.

I'm gonna look for Wisconsin quarters and the potential leaf varieties, any thing else I can look for in quarters?

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    921 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Ben, how easy is it to juggle six different checking accounts and keep them active?
    Not hard at all! you only have to deposit $1 once a year to keep them active, you can then withdraw it if you want. One bank did something interesting, I opened two accounts and put $10 in each then I put an extra $1 in and set up an automatic transfer from one to the other and then back the next day so once a month it puts a dollar in each account and keeps them active without me doing anything. I have all the accounts written down so I know which is which. I also have a card with the numbers in my wallet, sonce there is only $10 in each and no overdraft protection I doni't care if someone drains it, the banks require the account number when using the coin counter

MILES Driven 500

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6472 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Need the money.

I'm gonna look for Wisconsin quarters and the potential leaf varieties, any thing else I can look for in quarters?
    CUDS abound on State Qtrs., '92 to '98 Eagles have vast array of obv/rev die cracks, lots of greasers on eagles & States, O/C's are rare but have value. never found a Wi. leaf ----yet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links