Time to Liquidate my collection(s)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to economic financial pressures, fixed soc sec income, and rising costs of everything I find that it is now increasing important to start liquidating my coin collections while I still can. I will begin with the most obvious non-profitable & non-collectibles to most, such as: 2009-Dimes(P&D), 2017-P cents, the hoarded thousands & thousands of copper cents 1959-1981(to keep only the best AU-BU pieces), NIFC halves, 2009 P&D cents(all 4-varieties) to keep only the best BU rolls/boxes that were acquired when they first came out,
My question to most of you CRH's is, do I SAVE or DUMP above items and move on. My next step will most likely be the silver stacks, then the old collections, .............etc.
Need your opinions & output.

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to economic financial pressures, fixed soc sec income, and rising costs of everything I find that it is now increasing important to start liquidating my coin collections while I still can. I will begin with the most obvious non-profitable & non-collectibles to most, such as: 2009-Dimes(P&D), 2017-P cents, the hoarded thousands & thousands of copper cents 1959-1981(to keep only the best AU-BU pieces), NIFC halves, 2009 P&D cents(all 4-varieties) to keep only the best BU rolls/boxes that were acquired when they first came out,
My question to most of you CRH's is, do I SAVE or DUMP above items and move on. My next step will most likely be the silver stacks, then the old collections, .............etc.
Need your opinions & output.
Dump all the NIFC halves that you have. They will never be worth more than the trouble of dumping them. I got rid of all mine .

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sadly, you will find that all the items that you saved aren't going to be worth the hassle of selling. If you are in no hurry, you can try and list on craigslist. If you are looking at the larger market (eBay), then factor in the 13% cost with fees. Search completed listings. Hopefully, you find that one guy at the end of the rainbow. Otherwise, you'll find that you will barely break even. When you factor in the cost of your time to take the pictures, pack and ship, potentially deal with returns or unsatisfied buyers, you will realize that it is easier to dump them at the bank. If you want to keep some examples for your own personal collection, that is fine. But don't save the BU/AU copper cents thinking there will ever be a market for them. Good luck on your endeavor.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't keep any of that stuff in the first place. Down into the maw of the coin machine they go. But you have accumulated them and now you are wise to dump them. IMO, none of that stuff will bring a premium greater than even a 2% credit union 6 month CD. If you invest in dividend stocks, you would earn much more and the dividend is taxed more favorably (0% for most of us retirees) than interest income.

Do you know any boy scout or girl scout leaders? They have a coin collecting merit badge and those 2009 cents would be fun for kids to sort through and collect.

Last edited:

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
DoZer - I hate to hear this... I hope you will still be hunting. Always love reading your posts.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone said is correct. The coin market isn't what it used to be. I'd dump the cents in a coin machine. The others, maybe Ebay or a coin shop. I have been downsizing for years, but not my dug stuff. Now Ebay is interesting, is that the word I want? Between cranky buyers and the fees, I try not to sell anything there anymore.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alert. ME when you get to the silver

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find a youngster and get them into collecting with your collection

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
find a youngster and get them into collecting with your collection

I have 13-grandkids that I'm in the process of filling as much of the Lincoln 3-folder sets, that's where the best-of-the-best cent coins will be going. And as to my silver dimes, my 5-older children will each be getting a complete silver Rosie (1946-64) set, once again best of the best.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I agree with the others. Of the items you listed, only one is worth more than face value. The copper cents are worth a little more. But the hassle of selling them makes it still at this time not economically feasible. I'd put an ad on Craigslist for the coppers, at maybe 1.3 cents per penny, but the rest are all worth face. Dump and move on.

"the most obvious non-profitable & non-collectibles to most, such as: 2009-Dimes(P&D), 2017-P cents, the hoarded thousands & thousands of copper cents 1959-1981(to keep only the best AU-BU pieces), NIFC halves, 2009 P&D cents(all 4-varieties) to keep only the best BU rolls/boxes that were acquired when they first came out, "

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
DoZer - I hate to hear this... I hope you will still be hunting. Always love reading your posts.

I agree - i hope everything is ok Dozer - best of luck. I also enjoyed your posts and your passion for the hobby. I pretty much agree with the others - the cents I would just dump, I would keep a sample of the best NIFC halves from each year, and the 2009 cents I would dump. The 2009 Nickels and dimes I would keep only if they are BU.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someday, the things that you mention will be worth more than face value. It could be 20yr or 200yr, hard to say. So, as others have said, when you factor in the time value of money, you'll never really catch up.

When the melt ban on cents is rescinded, your brass cents could amount to 3-4x face.
The same thing will happen eventually for your dimes and NIFC halves. Someday, they will be worth their metal content.
The zinc cents probably would need to reach 100 years old (or greater) to amount to much.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with most of the posters above: if you are in financial crisis, immediately dump everything there isn't enough of a market over face value for it to be worthwhile to try and sell for profit. It makes no financial sense to hoard say, NIFC halves, on the hope that someday they'll be worth the effort, when you're struggling financially. If you're going to tie up needed capital in this manner on "investments", there are better ways to do so.

When you get to the silver and the good stuff, I suggest selling a little at a time as needed (and I mean NEEDED), as opposed to selling the whole shebang at once...unless of course you get an offer you can't refuse, a spike in the price of silver, etc etc.

That's my opinion, anyway. Best of luck to you, Dozer.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear man, hope things pick up for ya!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently sold silver bullion , and am on the verge of selling silver half dollars . I got most of them for face value , and I can get $5. a piece for them - I would rather use the cash to by materials for fabricating silver jewelry , which can be sold for several times cost , rather than just storing these in the safe .

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope continue silver hunting & stacking even to the end

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Can't add anything here. I dumped all my copper cents back in 2011 when I moved. I'm sure you had fun searching the cent rolls but they are worth face same with the NIFCs and impaired proofs, let them go. You could always find some more if you really wanted to!

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
5 a piece for halves? Dang good deal!

You can sell rolls of copper pennies for copper price and people will buy them. They are already out there.

Who are they, bring em on. I haven't seen buyers of copper hoards, yet, but I'm hoping.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread