CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Mint Releases First Ever W Quarters Into Circulation
By Office of Corporate Communications
April 2, 2019

Do you see something strange in your change? For National Coin Week, the U.S. Mint is mixing things up and launching a limited amount of America the Beautiful quarters with the “W” mint mark into circulation – a first for the U.S. Mint in 227 years of minting coins. While West Point has produced quarters in the past, they didn’t have a mint mark and were indistinguishable from Philadelphia quarters.

The goal of the initiative is to create excitement about coin collecting by introducing rare coins into circulation, allowing anyone the opportunity to collect the quarters from their pocket change.

In total, the West Point Mint will strike 10 million quarters that will be mixed into bulk bags of quarters at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. In early April, the first of the W mint mark quarters will be shipped and distributed to banks and financial institutions by the Federal Reserve. The coins will likely begin to appear in circulation within four to six weeks and will be available throughout 2019.

The announcement of the W mint mark quarters ties in with the American Numismatic Association’s National Coin Week from April 21-27, 2019. Also during the month of April, independent coin dealers will place approximately one million of their own collectible coins into circulation across the United States as part of the Great American Coin Hunt.

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i will be searching quarters for a while

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be exciting in SEARCHING for the golden ticket, just like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. I'm glad that the mint is going to distribute the "W" coins mixed in with the P&D coins, this way the big dealers can't manipulate & hoard the "W"s.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be exciting in SEARCHING for the golden ticket, just like Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. I'm glad that the mint is going to distribute the "W" coins mixed in with the P&D coins, this way the big dealers can't manipulate & hoard the "W"s.

Yeah I think that is great and the fact that they are only making 2 million of them for each design could mean that they might actually be worth more than a quarter (particularly in BU condition), whereas nearly every other mint product is a money loser for the buyer (i.e., NIFC halves) and not worth more than face value.

Looks like I will be searching quarters over the next few months.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that ALL OF US CRH's out there check our change & banks to watch for the special "W" qtrs and report in when and how they found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread