Non-US coins from tellers

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The tellers at my dump Credit Union are great. I took in a bag of $500 in halves and while it was counting I asked one of the tellers where my friend the head teller was. He said she was at a very small branch and asked if I wanted to have her bring any halves they had back for me. I said "Sure" and he called her and she said I could pick them up the next day. She had $66 in a small bag. She said the teller there doesn't like coins in the counting machine and sends them to the Fed frequently so they just had these and some foreign coin. I asked her what she did with that coin and she said they tossed it in the trash. I told her she should give those to collectors like me, so another teller called to ask if they emptied the trash yet. They hadn't so the teller there dug it out of the trash and was going to mail it to my branch. She is also going to send any other foreign coins she find to my branch for me.

The teller that called went back to the counting room and came back with a container that had the junk the counting machine rejected and gave me all the coins in it.

Here is a picture of what I got.
NonUS_Coins_OBV.jpg
NonUS_Coins_REV.jpg

The bag of halves produced a 65 and here is the coin they tossed
British_67_Penny_OBV.jpg
British_67_Penny_REV.jpg

Finding a place with great tellers sure makes this hobby much more fun.

Upvote 0

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Good stuff! That's why I always tell them I'm looking for anything weird. It's turned up some good foreign stuff.

Brian

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks. I do take them fresh baked cookies and things my wife bakes. I've never actually asked about weird coins when checking banks for halves. How often do you get offered foreign coins kestrelia? Does anybody else ask about foreign coins?

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I love when I get foreign money from the bank. Just last week I got $2.50 in Canadian quarters. But jeez, Fropa, you got quite the variety! Austria, Ireland, Jamaica, etc., and even a pressed penny! :D

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
It was a nice assortment fiatboy. I still haven't identified the 1982 50?? coin. Anybody know where it's from?

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friendly tellers are great. Mine save most of the coin counter rejects for me too. I don't think they realized how much they were giving me until we went to Canada this year for a weekend. I had $136.00 (approx) Canadian. given the current conversion rate, I don't get nearly as much Canadian change these days :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread