Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: YEEESSS!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2011
    204 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Mega- Iíve noticed the same, definitely prefer this machine. I think it has 6 penny bags, 3-4 dime bags, Iím not sure about the others but I know it has more bags on it.

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    116 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    When I used to CRH a lot, I was buying most bags except quarters from one branch for a few years and although the machine was typically accurate, it did occasionally drift. When I would mention it to the lead teller that I usually dealt with, she would just say it was time to have it "cleaned" or call maintenance. For dimes I didn't mention anything off unless it was over $2 off either way and of the common bags, dimes seemed to be the most likely to be off. For cents, it usually had to be at least 50 cents off or more, and rarely happened. Nickels and quarters seemed to be wrong only very infrequently (if ever).

Half dollars seemed to be the most likely to be wrong, probably because of rarely the bag filled up so it had more time to get a coin incorrectly sorted into the bag. The main problem I found with halves was not the overall count but just the wrong coin type was sorted in and as the coins found were always smaller denomination, the value was lower.

Just because a coin machine is accurate today, doesn't mean it will be accurate tomorrow. Things get dirty and break. It's just a warning to keep an ongoing watch over the counts. Some machines are better than others too and I am not familiar with the machine type pictured, so maybe it'll be more stable than the ones I was buying from. Personally, I always liked bags over boxes due the additional randomness of things found (mostly foreign or older non-standard sized US coins) that would never make it into a roll.

Either way, good luck!

us
    Oct 2011
    204 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Appreciate the input. I hear what youíre saying. I used to buy bags from a bank that had an older style coin machine, the type that was in the back and that tellers operated, the machine did not reject ANYTHING. I bought 2 bags of quarters, one of them having about $150 worth of washers in it. That was a tough pill to swallow, but I didnít say anything because I didnít want to burn a bridge and get cut off. This is the same location that I picked up 2 bags of dimes containing over $20fv in silver from. I guess it just depends, I feel like the newer machines arenít as likely to be that far off, I def get what youíre saying, I just think that for me the ability to purchase bags is more valuable than whatever the immaterial amount of inaccuracy is in either direction

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    116 times
    I agree with your reasoning. I also always thought that in theory at least I was saving the bank money in paying to ship out their coins. Whether I truly was or it was a fixed cost regardless of whether they had coins to ship out, I am not sure.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleslick18 View Post
    Mega- I’ve noticed the same, definitely prefer this machine. I think it has 6 penny bags, 3-4 dime bags, I’m not sure about the others but I know it has more bags on it.
    Sadly though, only 1 bag for halves in this machine.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 10
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 9 dimes (90%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    Oct 2011
    204 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Itís at about 850 right now :-D
    Iíll be keeping my eye on that one

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleslick18 View Post
    It’s at about 850 right now :-D
    I’ll be keeping my eye on that one
    I keep track of my half dumps at 6 different coin machines in a notebook, so I can minimize the bag changes. I also avoid going when they are busy - like saturdays and friday afternoons.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 10
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 9 dimes (90%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1952 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    I agree with your reasoning. I also always thought that in theory at least I was saving the bank money in paying to ship out their coins. Whether I truly was or it was a fixed cost regardless of whether they had coins to ship out, I am not sure.
    Banks have a contract with the armored car service. It does not save anything or cost them extra if you order boxes.

Be careful when you guys buy every bag you can. I did with one bank and I got a hernia. One time I bought 10-11 bags of cents. Had to carry to car and load, then at home up a set of stairs, then run through my Ryedel, then carry bags down the stairs and back into my dump bank. lots of works.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links