Nic-A-Date nickels.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In my collection that I plan on disposing of, I have Many buffalo nickels that have been NAD acid, and many more that haven't seen the acid yet. Is it worth anything to dump for a price, or what?
What about dateless SLQ's, is there any date acid for them.
I have a long way to go to disposal, but don't want to overlook anything of value to someone.
Your comments appreciated, good & bad, pros & cons, bring em on so we all can learn.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a group I think the buffs will sell on eBay, especially the untreated ones with mintmarks.

Last coin show I attended one dealer was selling NAD-ed buffs for about a third of the G-4 value, and doing pretty good with the key dates (14-D, etc). I've sold a few treated ones on eBay with less success so I guess it just depends. For some people an NAD buff is a good hole filler until they can afford a clean one.

Haven't heard of a silver date restorer, but that doesn't mean people haven't tried NAD on them, with ugly results (leaves a nasty black spot).

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dateless buffalo isn't worth much to begin with. Per this website link, a dateless buffalo is worth ~10 cents each (likely a wholesale price). A quick look at the lowest sold prices on ebay looks like you can buy a roll of dateless buffalo nickels for around $7 shipped (17.5 cents each). Face value is 5 cents, so I would say you aren't risking much value. If you are looking to fill holes in your collection it is a cheap way to do so.

https://www.coinstudy.com/buffalo-nickel-value.html

I personally don't mind NAD buffaloes as hole fillers, but I don't own any NAD to do it myself either.

Purists would probably say don't NAD them, but if you find a rare date they should sell for more than a dateless one

Ultimately, it's a personal decision either way with pros and cons on both sides.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Before you put acid on a dateless SLQ, first check the reverse side. If there are no stars under the reverse side eagle, then the coin was minted in either 1916 or 1917 and may have some extra value. Back in the day.....about 60 years ago, they were rare, but not impossible to find still in circulation. I still have ten of them--but no dated 1916.
Don..........

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels cleaned, maybe, but don't clean the silver. Both coin types are notorious for losing their dates fast, because of raised designs

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I’m building a set of NAD-Buffalos; why, I don’t know. There is no physical means that I am aware of to restore dates to SLQ’s.

Concur with Mackaydon’s comment about no stars on the reverse. There are ways to determine if the coin is 1916 or 1917, even if dateless.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you put acid on a dateless SLQ, first check the reverse side. If there are no stars under the reverse side eagle, then the coin was minted in either 1916 or 1917 and may have some extra value. Back in the day.....about 60 years ago, they were rare, but not impossible to find still in circulation. I still have ten of them--but no dated 1916.
Don..........

I worked in a mom & pop shop in the late 60s and I found quite a few (maybe 100 or so) SLQs. I'd say half +/- were dateless, but, for those that had dates, none was pre-1925 when the date was lowered.

I did find a 'D' mint dateless type 1 quarter (1917D), but I'm sure that was worth virtually nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread