Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before purging, look for the varieties (such as the 6 finger).

And, as unlikely as it seems, keep an eye out for the ones struck from brass for the mint sets (the 95% alloy used in 1909 was used for all proofs, but also Denver and Philly mint sets). There were only about 800,000ea Philly and Denver of each design minted from the special alloy.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I always dump these, but I think my motives are different than yours rosco.

I keep copper memorials, wheats, and CAD copper only

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in the dump camp. Similar to Uncleslick, I only keep wheat, BU memorial that are copper and CAD before 1970.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: I'm in the same dump boat as you are, but I will dump my grungy bad looking 2009 first before getting into the better looking ones. But, back when they first came out, I managed to get from many of my branch banks, brand new BU unopened rolls & full boxes of nearly each of the 4-var P&D. I hope I can get a good price on the BU ROLLS.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Rosco: I'm in the same dump boat as you are, but I will dump my grungy bad looking 2009 first before getting into the better looking ones. But, back when they first came out, I managed to get from many of my branch banks, brand new BU unopened rolls & full boxes of nearly each of the 4-var P&D. I hope I can get a good price on the BU ROLLS.

Don't count on it. I had original mint wrapped rolls (bought direct from US Mint) of all the varieties. I did sell them, but after paying the 13% in eBay fees and calculating that I paid the initial premium direct from the mint, I barely broke even. Good luck to you in selling, but the potential profit will be minimal. IMO, it was not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Annnnnnd purged. Kept 50 each P and D for each design.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If the individual coins are not significant in any way, they are nasty, ugly, copper plated zinc. Fit only for putting back into circulation and nothing more. Yes, I let my personal prejudice against zlincolns show.

Time for more coffee.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Back in 2009 you could make money on the full boxes from the bank but not so much now. They were going for $150 or more some times if you timed it right. I still have a box kicking around of one of the versions...I should probably follow your direction and make some space on my coin shelf now! It is all about the timing with some of these things.

Maine_Jim

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't hurt to keep em if we knew what would be valuable in the future we would all be rich

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m planning to keep a tube of each variety and mint mark, upgrading as I go. Primarily so I can build future sets / albums with my Grands once they are old enough.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m planning to keep a tube of each variety and mint mark, upgrading as I go. Primarily so I can build future sets / albums with my Grands once they are old enough.

Exactly what I did, but not thinking about Grandkids :-p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread