Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up 2 Brinks boxes this afternoon and opened the first box. I had some help from my usual assistant. She sniffed out a silver ender that turned out to be a 1966 and an impaired proof

IMG_1307.jpg

Upon removing the top 25 rolls, found a reverse ender that turned out to be a 1964 and that exposed this Wender in the bottom layer of rolls, so 3 total enders in box 1

IMG_1308.jpg

Upon starting to open rolls, I came across the Elvis half and knew this box would be no "Hound Dog" and wished "Don't be Cruel". The Elvis half had me "All Shook Up" but I pushed on, thinking "It's Now or Never"

IMG_1311.jpg

The rest of the box produced 5 Walkers, 1 Franklin, 2x1964, 1x1965, 2x1966, 1x1967, 1x1968 and 1x1969, so 14 silver in all. Plus a 1987-D and 4 impaired proofs

IMG_1310.jpg

After the first box, I knew there would be no "Heartbreak Hotel" tonight. "Suspicious Minds" about box 2 - it produced 1 1966 half with an old tape mark across the front.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Want to clarify something here: 1 ended doesn’t mean there should be 10 silvers, but 10 silvers does mean on average there should be 1 ended. Silver drives Enders, but Enders doen’t Drive silver. It’s a subtle difference but it matters. If every box you got had 1 silver in it, you’s Find on average an ender every 10th box but you’d never find a 10 silver bow.

or to summarize - the numbers of silver era is an independent variable. The number of Enders is a dependent variable.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch, Thank you for that important distinction. I bet math teachers could get their students more interested in the distinction between independent and dependent variables by using that CRH example.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Avago, Thanks for sharing your actual summary data - that is exactly what I was hoping for. I need to do a better job with recording my own results.

You are doing a lot of boxes (about 12/week?) and must be busy with dumping. I'd like to search more boxes, but spreading out my dumps among all my credit union branches would require a lot of driving! Doing 2-3 boxes per week requires only local dumping.

Megalodon, yes! This year anyway, averaging 12 boxes per week. Previous years I was doing 8-10ish, but yes, the dumping is crazy! I'm able to float it all on a $4k bankroll with dumping in between pickups.

I just went back through 2016 and added them all up. 3071 boxes and 275 enders for an average of 11.16. So like 10% fewer enders than statistically should have been present based on pure odds. I don't think the margin of error on my records would be that significant, so I wonder what would cause this?

A note to Twitch that that's a good distinction to make. I do find that in general though the more enders are in a particular box the more it adheres to the law of averages, which makes sense.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon, yes! This year anyway, averaging 12 boxes per week. Previous years I was doing 8-10ish, but yes, the dumping is crazy! I'm able to float it all on a $4k bankroll with dumping in between pickups.

I just went back through 2016 and added them all up. 3071 boxes and 275 enders for an average of 11.16. So like 10% fewer enders than statistically should have been present based on pure odds. I don't think the margin of error on my records would be that significant, so I wonder what would cause this?

A note to Twitch that that's a good distinction to make. I do find that in general though the more enders are in a particular box the more it adheres to the law of averages, which makes sense.

Avago, you certainly have a valid sample size for this analysis! If a silver sniper at a sorting center pulled an occasional roll with a nice ender showing, that could be one explanation for too few observed enders. I sometimes wonder when I get a decent box after a long skunk streak if the sorting center's silver sniper was on vacation!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved reading all the posts from you guys, truthful & honest. But I'll stick to my dimes when I can afford the itch.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Avago - yes, as the # of silvers in a bow goes up the likely of hitting 10:1 ratio increases. My largest deviations are I've had 3 ender boxes yield 7 silvers and once had a 17 ender box yield 214 silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread