JFK and Ike Proof Bonanza

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to bank on Saturday to return rolled coins. I asked if they had halves and the teller said that they had a bunch in the back but none out here. So I sent my wife to go back in there on Tuesday to get $50 in halves to see what they had - went with $50 because I was afraid of getting someone's dump.

I wound up getting a dump, but not what I expected as the $50 in halves were all proof dated between 1972S-1976S, with the exception of one coin dated 1976D. The tarnished halves that are in the pic are all dated 1972S
and $40 Ikes that were all proof with the exception of 2 coins (Type 1 1976 & 1976D)

I can't imagine that someone broke apart some 50 proof sets and turned the coins into a bank. Teller told my wife someone brought all these coins in.
They have more so my wife will be going back tomorrow AM.

Halves:
proof jfk1 9-17.jpg proof jfk2 9-17.jpg

Ikes:
1973S: 11 coins
1974S: 14 coins
1976S: 13 coins
1976/1976D Type 1: 2 coins
I have never gotten a 1973 Ike before.

proof ike2 9-17.jpg proof ike1 9-17.jpg

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why you just always buy them all, regardless of the amount. Its obviously part of some sort of collection dump, and there may or may not have been silver dumped along with it. When you don't get them all, you risk the chance that someone else gets them before you can get back. Halves and big dollars do not sit in banks long at all anymore, at least in my area.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find. I assume the IKE's are clad and not silver?

Yeah all clad. Turns out that proof Ikes are very nice coins compared to the standard circulation issue, particularly the reverse.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I can't imagine that someone broke apart some 50 proof sets and turned the coins into a bank...

It very well may have happened just that way. The proof sets from those years are very inexpensive to buy and can typically be found for $3-$5 each at most and often less. The coins contained in each set have a face value of $1.91 if my old brain can do math correctly this morning. The owner very well may have decided that the amount of profit to be received by selling wasn't worth the time and trouble to do so and just simply cashed the coins in for face value.

Another possibility is that they were the "victim" of a high grade hunter. There are collectors out there that scoop up old mint and proof sets in bulk on the cheap looking for coins that will grade ms70 or pf70 which bring a high premium. They often just dump the leftovers.

And of course the possibility ALWAYS exists in CRH that they were simply stolen and cashed in for face value.

Its a very neat find, but a find I almost hope I do not make myself. I have no desire to hoard impaired clad proofs, but I have a very hard time letting them go if they aren't damaged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
It very well may have happened just that way. The proof sets from those years are very inexpensive to buy and can typically be found for $3-$5 each at most and often less. The coins contained in each set have a face value of $1.91 if my old brain can do math correctly this morning. The owner very well may have decided that the amount of profit to be received by selling wasn't worth the time and trouble to do so and just simply cashed the coins in for face value.

Another possibility is that they were the "victim" of a high grade hunter. There are collectors out there that scoop up old mint and proof sets in bulk on the cheap looking for coins that will grade ms70 or pf70 which bring a high premium. They often just dump the leftovers.

And of course the possibility ALWAYS exists in CRH that they were simply stolen and cashed in for face value.

Its a very neat find, but a find I almost hope I do not make myself. I have no desire to hoard impaired clad proofs, but I have a very hard time letting them go if they aren't damaged.

Yeah I am with you there. It is a neat, but not a cheap and not a particularly valuable find. I will most likely keep all the Ikes as I like how proof Ike's look. I can compensate by getting rid of some regular circulation issues I have. As for the halves, I will get rid of the damaged ones, and I will now get rid of proofs that I had found in the past from those same years as what I had prior to finding these is not in as good condition.

Modern standard mint products generally aren't worth much.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went and got the rest of the coins today:

27 more Ike proofs.
Total was 65 proof Ikes.

proof ikes 9-19.jpg