$100,000 DOLLAR FIND!!!!!!!

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So I have not seen one of the big media outlets post one of these articles in awhile but CNBC posted the following article "People have been making up to $100,000 off ‘coin hunting’–here’s how the highly unusual hobby works" :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Take a read, it will make you laugh your socks off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/coi...l-hobby-that-can-make-you-a-lot-of-money.html

I am curious though. What do yall think your annual return is on Coin roll hunting???

I personally dont sell anything that I find so mine is some negative number. But even if I include value of finds in my analysis I'm pretty sure at my current hunting levels it is close to break even. Back in my college days when I was doing 6-8 boxes a week of cents, nickels, and halves I would say I was "making" maybe 2 grand a year. MAYBE................................

Best error coin I ever found is my profile photo which is a 1983 DDR which in its condition was worth around $150 when I found it.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those results are Like winning the Lottery.
It does happen but there is allot of Luck Involved.

Of course if you have $10,ooo in Silver Coins when Silver hits $100 an Oz

You can make a Mint.
But for Silver to Hit $100 I Would Guess Gas & Food would hit Record Highs Too.

as for 1970 Washington quarter that was selling for $35,000. Due to a major mint error, the quarter was struck over a 1941 Canadian quarter instead of a blank one.

Was not an Error, Someone Obviously took that Quarter to the Mint & threw it in The bin.
I Do not call that an error, Only an Error that their watchers Didn't catch it.

Or Did They ?

I would have checked the Person who Found it's Friends & Relatives.
Odds are very good a Mint Employee is in there somewhere

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only person making money in this situation is the articles author.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
So I have not seen one of the big media outlets post one of these articles in awhile but CNBC posted the following article "People have been making up to $100,000 off ‘coin hunting’—here’s how the highly unusual hobby works" :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laugh ing7::laughing7:

Take a read, it will make you laugh your socks off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/coi...l-hobby-that-can-make-you-a-lot-of-money.html

I am curious though. What do yall think your annual return is on Coin roll hunting???

I personally dont sell anything that I find so mine is some negative number. But even if I include value of finds in my analysis I'm pretty sure at my current hunting levels it is close to break even. Back in my college days when I was doing 6-8 boxes a week of cents, nickels, and halves I would say I was "making" maybe 2 grand a year. MAYBE................................

Best error coin I ever found is my profile photo which is a 1983 DDR which in its condition was worth around $150 when I found it.

I was making somewhere around $20,000-$25,000/year at my peak. My buddy made around $80,000 a year at his peak, here was an interview he did:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
“Also, any older penny with a picture of wheat stalks, rather than the Lincoln Memorial, is worth at least 5 cents to dealers.”

Suuuure...

To answer OP’s question, I find an average of about 80 oz of silver per year, or did through 2018. This year it’s way lower, no doubt in part due to idiotic videos and articles like this one.

Last edited:

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like these articles as all it does is tell more people about crh. Also, the guy who spent 15 hrs a week and got 15,000$ a year, my guess is he underestimated his time (going to and from banks, etc) and secondly didn't account for gas and other costs. As we all know you don't do this to get rich - it is for the excitement of the hunt more than anything else. These people that say there is consistent ultra-rare finds are jokers.

I agree with former teller, it is articles like this that I believe are the reason why I have found way less silver this year and I have seem to come across more people's dumps than before.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bull. I have been doing it for years, and have not found ONE error coin.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I’ve found more than $100,000 worth of coins CRH’ing this year. It’s super easy. Actually it’s not that easy.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I think most CRH’ing is a slow loss. A good year or a great set up could net you a grand or two. I believe there are no CrH’ers on the planet who can beat a McDonalds starting wage over time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have to figure in the gasoline to get to a bank, I lose a few hundred a year!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon you guys are filthy rich just dont want anyone to know lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread