NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into a few banks this morning

$170 in 10c
$20 in 25c
$16 in 5c
$7.50 in 1c

In one of the banks, got $50 in dimes. The teller rubber-banded the 10 rolls (all CWR). As I left the bank, some of the dimes started to come out of one of the rolls (probably because of the tightness of the rubber band). Inside was all pennies. Quickly looked at a second roll and same thing - all pennies. Rolls had one dime on each end and pennies inside. Went right back in, waited on line, and turned them back in and they gave me new rolls. I go into this bank enough to the point that they know who I am. If the coins hadn't started coming out of the roll as I walked out - i would have found this when I got home - and then it is too late - would have been bagged for like $48 bucks. WAY WORSE THAN GETTING SKUNKED. I usually check for this, but when I am handed rolls in a rubberbanded bundle, I sometimes don't. Won't make that mistake again.

This has happened to me in the past. A few times, I lost like $20 or $30. Then a few other times, I have caught it before I left the bank and they gave me new rolls. You can get a sense as to whether the rolls are full of pennies because the coins are tightly wrapped in the roll (pennies are slightly larger than dimes). Other times, I rub my fingernail along the side of the roll to check for reeded edges - then I know they are dimes.

Watch out.

In the rolls today got 1 1959 dime and 1 common wheat. The dime was from rolls at another bank.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... and steel sailboats in CWR can leave a bad taste:BangHead::BangHead: Kingston, NY parking meter staff crook deposited abooooot $8 scattered in 5 dime rolls, I had to eat those:angry4::cussing::angry5:

now I tell the tellers------- swipe the roll with a magnet---- then refuse to accept the crap:happysmiley:

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
...... and steel sailboats in CWR can leave a bad taste:BangHead::BangHead: Kingston, NY parking meter staff crook deposited abooooot $8 scattered in 5 dime rolls, I had to eat those:angry4::cussing::angry5:

now I tell the tellers------- swipe the roll with a magnet---- then refuse to accept the crap:happysmiley:

I am call it 90 miles south of you. I get alot of those as well - but $8 in 5 dime rolls is a ton. The steel sailboats, beavers and elk don't bother me as much as I just hang on to them - eventually we take a trip north to Canada and then I just spend them.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
My local credit union requires all coin be unrolled and put through the machine. This eliminates such occurrences as yours. No, they do not sell bags, but some branches have lobby counters, making good dump locations

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You used to have to put your account number on every roll. What happened to this practice?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back the same thing happened to me $55 in dimes ended being all cents. I had already left and peaked at a few when I got back to work... quickly went back and they took them, luckily I had a good relationship with the tellers.

I'll never forget though the look of frustration of the teller. She had "bought" these from another teller the prior day and sold them to me. She was now stuck dealing with the situation. This causes a lot of paperwork I'd imagine - check and balances. I went back the next day and thanked her and got her a starbucks gift card. 1) didn't want to lose the opportunity to buy cwr, & 2) I did feel bad - its sometimes a thankless job and people trying to pull BS like stuffing dime rolls full of pennies to score an extra $50 is just another thing they have to deal with.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You used to have to put your account number on every roll. What happened to this practice?
Would you give out your banking account number to any Joe on the street? I used to get dozens of account numbers every year.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went into a few banks this morning

$170 in 10c
$20 in 25c
$16 in 5c
$7.50 in 1c

In one of the banks, got $50 in dimes. The teller rubber-banded the 10 rolls (all CWR). As I left the bank, some of the dimes started to come out of one of the rolls (probably because of the tightness of the rubber band). Inside was all pennies. Quickly looked at a second roll and same thing - all pennies. Rolls had one dime on each end and pennies inside. Went right back in, waited on line, and turned them back in and they gave me new rolls. I go into this bank enough to the point that they know who I am. If the coins hadn't started coming out of the roll as I walked out - i would have found this when I got home - and then it is too late - would have been bagged for like $48 bucks. WAY WORSE THAN GETTING SKUNKED. I usually check for this, but when I am handed rolls in a rubberbanded bundle, I sometimes don't. Won't make that mistake again.

This has happened to me in the past. A few times, I lost like $20 or $30. Then a few other times, I have caught it before I left the bank and they gave me new rolls. You can get a sense as to whether the rolls are full of pennies because the coins are tightly wrapped in the roll (pennies are slightly larger than dimes). Other times, I rub my fingernail along the side of the roll to check for reeded edges - then I know they are dimes.

Watch out.

In the rolls today got 1 1959 dime and 1 common wheat. The dime was from rolls at another bank.

I'll give you another..."be careful". Where I live, you can't find CWR's. Why you ask....because it's the policy of every bank not to accept CWRs. Too many customers were throwing a fit when the bank wouldn't refund or provide replacement of incorrect coins or coin amounts in rolls. We can argue whether or not a bank should replace/refund someone that has walked out of the bank with the wrong coinage but the bottom line....check your coinage, while you are at the bank. If the bank doesn't replace or refund your money, don't complain. According to one of the national banks, the policy of no CWRs was implemented because of the complaints of no refund after leaving the bank...not the actual theft. :dontknow: This surprised me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread