Loomis - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Loomis

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayArea View Post
    Apparently this machine tells you how many copper pennies and how many zincolns you have. The machine is internally wired to accept those two types of pennies. Notice how it has two different counts for pennies. It ended up rejecting a wheat cent. I recall there were some wheats that varied differently on composition due to tin mixed in.

What you should do is take one for the team - put a silver dime (I would say half or even a 40% but that may be too tough to do) and see if it accepts it or rejects it or takes it and doesn't count it because it went into the internal junk bin.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2019 Totals: Halves: 12 40% 4 90%, Dimes: 23, Quarters: 0

2019 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 45/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 12, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 1, bags 2, CWR 0

MILES Driven 225

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    My two banks use Loomis and in 2019 I found 82 40% and 30 90% although I lost 3 months while I was in the hospital and also recuperating (Sep, Oct, Nov) in Dec found 3 90% and 6 40% all Loomis.
    As Liu21 explained before, it depends on the facility and who is doing the sorting. I think it also depends on the counting and sorting machines they are using as well. Newer machines are set up to reject silver/other different metals for very common denominations (ie nickels, dimes, quarters). My guess is since halves and small dollar coins (compositions vary for Susan B. Anthonys and new Maganese based yellow coins) are not commonly used, the machines may only be set up to accept size only and rejecting ones that don't have the right size. Have you CRHed boxed Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters in your area? If you get silver and foreign coins in common denomination boxes from your area, they may be still using the older coin sorting machines. Industrial size coin sorting machines are not cheap and they may not replace them if it ain't broke. IMO, it's just a matter of time when the newer ones replace the older ones tho. If compositions change again, it would throw these coin sorting machine manufacturers in for a loop and the facilities may just go back to the older machines and not care about foreign coins. It's all cost benefit analysis for them.

Lol... I would be too much of a cheap skate to put in a 40%er to see if it gets rejected. They do not have these sorters at the banks I go to. They ship off coins to be counted.
    Last edited by SFBayArea; Jan 10, 2020 at 06:13 AM.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    for non-halves I do the bags right off the machine, the machine at the two banks I go through have been there for years. I tested it with a 40% half the day I was filling the last $50 in order to fill it and buy it off the machine and it counted it.

It could also be that there are less people dumping silver halves and other silver coins, it has been 54 years since they stopped the 90% coins after all so many of the people who saved them or had coin jars at the time have died and their heirs already dumped the coins
    Megalodon likes this.

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 12, bags 0, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 1, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 1, bags 2, CWR 0

MILES Driven 225

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    29 times
    for non-halves I do the bags right off the machine, the machine at the two banks I go through have been there for years. I tested it with a 40% half the day I was filling the last $50 in order to fill it and buy it off the machine and it counted it.

It could also be that there are less people dumping silver halves and other silver coins, it has been 54 years since they stopped the 90% coins after all so many of the people who saved them or had coin jars at the time have died and their heirs already dumped the coins
    You should try it with a 90%er dime to see if it counts or rejects it. If it accepts it, then it's an older style machine that rejects on size only. If it rejects it, it is set up to discriminate for common denominations only. I still do get silver from halves but the numbers are not what they were and I debated quitting again after a series of long skunks. I just noticed how war nickels and other non 75% copper 25% nickel composition coins have disappeared and I see more buffalo nickels which I thought was odd from boxes in my area. I did CRH a box of dimes and got nothing but was just one box. I don't do as much CRHing as I did in years past.
    Last edited by SFBayArea; Jan 10, 2020 at 06:31 AM.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3464 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I've dumped halves a few times at a more distant branch of one of my credit unions. The first time I dumped there, the bag had not been changed since the machine was installed 8 or 9 years earlier. Sadly, they won't sell me the bags. The head teller at another credit union told me they were tripping over the bags waiting to be picked up. I told her I'd love to buy some bags. She replied that she'd love to sell them to me if only she could. Unfortunately, the credit union forbids bag sales due to a CRHer making a huge stink over a bag shortage of a few dimes.
    fistfulladirt likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    That is why I never complain if I am shorted or get junk in the bags.
    Megalodon likes this.

MILES Driven 225

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    This gets brought up from time to time as a theory to explain the decreased finds. Someone will always chime in that they know someone who knows someone to lend credibility to the theory. But there is no proof to support the claim. If they used a discriminator on their machines to cull the silver, then they need to re-calibrate the device as there are plenty that still find silver.

Instead of trying to lend credence to a conspiracy theory of corporate culling, one just needs to find a simpler theory to the reason for decreased finds. CRH'ing is no secret. There are more hunters and an ever decreasing supply of silver in the system. The only way for the silver to find it's way into circulation is from the private sector. There is no magical stockpile that the Treasury is trickling out to distribution channels.
    DD, you have to recognize there's plenty of "theory" in your thoughts as well. Decreasing supply in the system? Maybe on a very small scale...other than melted coins, the supply is generally the same. The silver we were finding 10 years ago was from the same private sector. The same type of people releasing silver 10, 20, 30 years ago are releasing it today. I agree there are more hunters but still technically a theory. There's more information freely available today so my theory is there are vastly more hunters. Some of those hunters are involved in the courier service. We've heard direct word from people in our community that saw it or participated in it. I as well have heard directly from a bank employee I trust. All that said, I will agree none of the major couriers have a company wide policy (or machines) to remove silver.

The point I try to make is we always have this discussion and it's always either/or. Either couriers are taking coins or there's less supply because of the number of hunters. The truth is it's probably a combination of both being courier employees or people involved at some point of the delivery REPRESENT a portion of the increase in hunters.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    2020 times
    I was in a CVS Pharmacy last week and while waiting for my meds a armored truck driver also stood waiting to make a pickup. We got to talking (actually I started it) I asked if he lugs around a lot of half dollar boxes and the answer was yes. I asked if he knew why there were so many boxes requested by banks, again a yes. He told me all his boxes have rubber stamped on top "contains no silver"

There are only about 4-5 banks in my county.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2912 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
    I was in a CVS Pharmacy last week and while waiting for my meds a armored truck driver also stood waiting to make a pickup. We got to talking (actually I started it) I asked if he lugs around a lot of half dollar boxes and the answer was yes. I asked if he knew why there were so many boxes requested by banks, again a yes. He told me all his boxes have rubber stamped on top "contains no silver"

why is there so much courier delivery if finds are so slim? And who are these people ordering halves?

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    why is there so much courier delivery if finds are so slim? And who are these people ordering halves?
    optimists like me!

MILES Driven 225

Sep 2012
    539 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post

If I were you, I would never believe the "contains no silver" story without first hand confirmation. Whether it is a story that there is no silver for whatever reason or even just a story that the boxes are marked as not having silver. Either is probably fantasy.

We had some screwballs on here once claim that Loomis was stamping half dollar boxes with some variant of "contains no silver" messages. When asked for a pic, they uploaded a poorly done photoshop of a half box with digital text on the image. They had some idiotic idea that people would stop CRH'ing because of their lies and that would give them better odds. It's possible that this driver thinks that telling you this kind of story will make you stop getting boxes of halves and thereby make his route less coin-intensive. That level of infantile logic cracks me up.
    Owassokie likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1097 times
    I have found silver in boxes so marked!
    Owassokie likes this.

MILES Driven 225

Sep 2012
    MXT PRO AT GOLD ACE 250
    221 times
    I started this thread earlier, and I am not the “expert”, in the group, an I mean that in the most respectful way. Thanks, for the back and forth conversation and give and take. Looks like combination of supply and demand, and technology. I do think, that in the larger major metropolitan areas, where you have 20-40 banks within city limits, chances are better for more turn over. I have moved to smaller town, where only 4-5 banks in 15-20 mile area so slim pickings at best...cheers to all...
    fistfulladirt and Megalodon like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3464 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyorsky View Post
    I started this thread earlier, and I am not the “expert”, in the group, an I mean that in the most respectful way. Thanks, for the back and forth conversation and give and take. Looks like combination of supply and demand, and technology. I do think, that in the larger major metropolitan areas, where you have 20-40 banks within city limits, chances are better for more turn over. I have moved to smaller town, where only 4-5 banks in 15-20 mile area so slim pickings at best...cheers to all...
    I tend to agree with you. I'm also in a rural area and we don't even have towns, just place names. I've learned there is much more competition that I once thought - especially with half dollars. And in my area, those dumped CRH halves are picked up by Dunbar. There is a Brinks-Dunbar connection and Brinks now delivers square boxes to my local pickup bank with halves in Dunbar wrappers. I don't know if these Dunbar rolls are from another sorting center, but the rolls are wrapped and crimped tighter than the old Brinks rolls. They are also awful. I have only found 4 40% in the last 37 boxes and no 90%. So I believe, with very little evidence, that the dumped CRH halves being picked up are swamping any new silver collection dumps. So I have reduced my order from 2 boxes/week to 1 and may eliminate it altogether because I also get 1 Loomis box from another bank. It is further away but I justify the trip by stopping at my favorite grocery store across the street (which also gives a senior discount on the same day as my pickup).

Some of us piggy-backed our 2019 results in Tommybuckets thread "2019 - a year for the record books". You would find the comments there interesting.
    While I found 393 silver halves from boxes in 2019, plus 16 loose 40%ers from a teller, I also had 101 skunk boxes. Of the 153 boxes examined, 6 produced 215, or 54.7% of my 2019 silver. In my area, Loomis boxes are good. Its all a function of sorting centers IMO; there was someone here who posted a dream box in the last few months - and the greatest surprise to me was that it was a box of Dunbar rolls.

I think there is a way to statistically test the theory of possible sorting center sniping. A comparison of the results from bags and boxes in the same area would be easy. A large difference in favor of the bags would suggest that something could be going on between the time the bag is picked up and the time boxes are delivered to a facility. I don't think the better bag results prove sniping at all - but such evidence could suggest something going on after bag pickup.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jan 18, 2020 at 09:18 AM.

Sep 2012
    MXT PRO AT GOLD ACE 250
    221 times
    But just when you have lost all hope.....I have not received any......repeat any keepers in 3 years from LOOMIS, in the central part of our state and low and behold, I pick up a box today and guess what is winking back at me??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	092CBE40-2E3D-491E-8FA1-3C47EDA85A5F.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	1791634  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links